AKG K181DJ or HD280 pros
Apr 28, 2008 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hyg71886

Head-Fier
Hi I am new to the forum, I just recently bought an Ipod and was looking for some good headphones. I owned a pair of the HD212's and thats about the bass I'm looking for. Are the AKG K181DJ or K81DJ on par with those as far as bass and sound quality? Also how does the HD280 Pros stack up?

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 12
In terms of bass quantity, the HD 280 has very anemic bass when compared to the 212, but it is much more extended and precise.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 12
The v700s are no good at all.

Having spent a lot of time with the 280 Pros, I certainly wouldn't call the bass weak.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 12
how close is the bass to the hd212's, I had a pair of grados sr80's and though the sound quality was the best the bass sucked and i hated them. I preferred my 212's. So how would u say the bass is to the 212's or the sr80's

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 12
The K181DJ's isolate very well, a bit too well for my taste. They are very bass heavy and can be made even more so by turning the switch on the left cup which 'adapts' the sound to the size of the room (the K181 being DJ cans).
Good points:
-the treble is very nice and percussion really shines
-isolation is good
-they perform well straight out of an iPod
-I haven't yet seen a more sturdy phone than the K181DJ's. It will probably survive a nuclear blast along with the cockroaches.
Bad points:
-mids are a bit recessed
-although the sound sig is quite nice for portable cans, the bass is overly dominant
-the isolation and the sound sig together can create a somewhat claustrophobic feel to the listening experience. That is basically why I fell out of love with them after a few months.
The K181DJ's are well worth the money. They deliver the quality one may expect from portable cans, but if heavy bass is not your thing (and I found out it's not my thing), I think you're better off with the HD280's. Good luck in choosing!

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 12
I like alot of bass, but not to the point where its drowning out the rest of my music. I listen to lil wayne, 2pac, fall out boy, breaking benjamin, Nas, Busta Ryhmes, Sean Paul, Anita Baker, Keshia Kole, Tevin Campbell, etc. My music test is kinda all over the place, my question is, when I had my hd212's, they where bass heavy but they where perfect(besides the looks lol). They had plenty of bass without distorting the music. Would you say the the K181DJ's meet that requirement, because if so I'll order them from newegg right now. Oh, I also own a pair of Panosonic RP-HTX7's and the bass sucks which is why i need new headphones

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 12
If you like bass heavy, I think you'll like the K181DJ's. The bass is omnipresent, but it doesn't distort. Just a wee bit too much for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back