AKG K172HD
Nov 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thepiper92

Head-Fier
I actually just ordered a pair from Shop.ca, stating refurbished for $70. As I had a $40 Paypal thing with Shop.ca, I went for it. I can't find much on it, and I see a lot of K272 and 271 mentioned. Would the 172 just be an on-ear version of the the 272? I read that they are light on bass, but also that AKG take a lifetime of burn in. Any insight into how the headphones are would be appreciated.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 5
Should be coming on Friday, or Monday, depending if the UPS guy is sleeping at the wheel. Actually looking forward to the AKG's never had an AKG pair before. I would have preferred circumaural for feel, I'm not sure if there is a sound difference really.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 5
To say they're light on bass is an understatement. They have no bass. It's not an issue with the seal/burn-in either.

Perhaps my pair was defective, though. Let us know how they sound!

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Honestly, I like bass. Not the current music bass, but the thump from Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey. Occasionally I like heavy bass, but typically just the pop from the drum kick. The Harmon/Kardon BT's are my headphone for every kind of music. I have the Klipsch Image One's but I find them muddy and have too much bass (still A LOT better than the Beats stuff). Now the Harmon/Kardon BT's were a lot more than the K172's (regular pricing, not the fact that I got the 172's for $50 essentially), but perhaps there is a cost of having the Harmon/Kardon name; I feel some manufacturers have this aura, such as H/K, B&W, and I am really curious of how much is marketing cost vs AKG and the like, with less marketing hopefully. I do love the Harman/Kardons, and they sound amazing, slightly recessed treble, but balance is neutral more so. The FIIO E12 really throws in the nice pop in the bass with the bass boost, and I am hoping it will do the same with the 172; I don't want heavy bass, just maybe get a little boost from the 172's. What I am looking forward to is a potentially more bright sound, if I don't like it...well it didn't break the bank. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Okay, I have listened to the 172's a bit. First off, by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, even if they are on-ear, and not over ear. They are extremely light. Build seems good, although the frame of the headband feels cheap (not metal) and the adjustable part has elastic bands on the ends connecting near the cups (this just looks a little tacky, vs my H/K BT's, which are adjustable, but the adjustment mechanism is not visible. An amp is definitely needed. I will be burning these in, but the mids and highs are simply amazing. The bass is there, and with bass boost on the E12 I hear distortion. Hopefully burn in will loosen things up and increase bass while not in bass boost. They are revealing too, and every odd sound in music is heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back