AKG K171S - opinions?
Jun 1, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
After just picking up a pair of venerable K140 Studio headphones (600 ohms!) and digging their sound, I was interested in checking out some recent opinions (if there are any) for the K171S 55 ohm version, since they're very similar in size to the K140's and will have the same supra-aural fit on the ears (which I'm getting used to with these AKG's and my HD25's). I've read alot on the K271S, but not the K171S.

So does anyone here use the K171S on a regular basis, or has tried them recently? I can grab a new set for $140 shipped, or I could put an interest check out in the Headphones FS forum, but I wanted to get some reviews, etc. first.

thanks,
J.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 13
So I take it no one here owns or has purchased the K171S then?

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 13
I have them. I was originally looking into the K271S on the AKG USA website and saw that they had K171S B-stock available. The price was right and I took a flyer on them. Of course now that I check back a few months later, they have the K271S and even K501 available.

The slightly smaller size of the K171S works for stowing away in my desk drawer.

Isolation is excellent. The ear pads seem to fit my ears just right forming a nice seal. They don't leak or at least none of my co-workers have complained. There is more than enough bass, at least to my taste.

They are quite comfortable to wear. I have a large head and although they are near the max on the adjustability, I can wear them for a couple hours straight without any discomfort.

They also seem to be well-built, durable and flexible. I was always afraid I was going to break the beyer DT231's I had before.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 13
That's where my experience with a limited number of headphones fails me.

As compared to the beyer DT231, they have a more complete, fuller sound from top to bottom. More detail in the mid to upper range and just more bass.

As compared to the K501's, definitely more bass, not necessarily better but certainly more impact. Also, not quite the same mid and upper range details. The wider soundstage isn't there either. I know some of the difference is the open vs. closed design. I'm not sure how much.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobyTyler

The slightly smaller size of the K171S works for stowing away in my desk drawer.

Isolation is excellent. The ear pads seem to fit my ears just right forming a nice seal. They don't leak or at least none of my co-workers have complained. There is more than enough bass, at least to my taste.

They are quite comfortable to wear. I have a large head and although they are near the max on the adjustability, I can wear them for a couple hours straight without any discomfort.

How is the size compared to the K501? I've been looking for a closed pair that sounds like the K501 to replace my HD25SP. The HD25SP are difficult to get to fit snugly, so I guess I have a small or narrow head. My assumption is that if the headphones don't fit snugly, they don't seal well. The K501 are far from tight. I've been concerned that the K271 would be too loose and wondering if the K171 are tighter.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 13
The K171 are quite a bit smaller than the K501 and fit much more snuggly. The K501 have a tendency to slide around a bit, not so with the K171. If you look at photos of the 3 headphones, the K501 and K271 have similar adjustable headband systems while the K171 is a bit different. (oops, now that I'm home I realized the bit about headbands is incorrect. I remember that when I first opened the box of the K171s that the headband was different from the pictures I saw of the K271s. They use the same mechanism, but the bars spread apart on the 271 as they approach the top.)

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 13
I posted a brief comparison here (see last post). My opinion was that the K171s sound very similar to the K271s (which are really good). The major differences were that the mids are brighter and more forward than the K271s and I don't think the bass is as well defined in the K171s, but these differences are not that big. Overall, if you're looking for a smaller AKG closed headphone, go with the K81DJs IMO. The K171s have the same amping concerns as the K271s and this is not a minor issue - its been stated here many times that the K271s will not sound good at all without a good amp. The K81s have very nice overall sound (perhaps not as refined as the K171/271), do not need an amp for decent sound, are more portable for general use and are cheaper.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Unfortunately I have the HD25-1's, so there's not much need for me to go w/ the K81DJ... I'm looking for something closer to what the K271S sound signature is reported to be like, but smaller in size.

I'd be using these amped anyway w/ a Corda HA-1 MKII (for unamped use I have the 25-1's and the 25SP's).

May 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does anyone here use the K171S on a regular basis, or has tried them recently? I can grab a new set for $140 shipped, or I could put an interest check out in the Headphones FS forum, but I wanted to get some reviews, etc. first.

thanks,
J.

This is an old thread and I'll just reply for anyone who is interested in the k171s still. I was between buying the k171s and the k240.

The k240 was laid back and sounded deeper, it had a distinct low very airy sound to it and was very very comfortable. The high notes were not as distinct and crisp as the k171s.

The k171s don't have that airy background of the k240 and they play high notes very crisply (almost too much for my liking). They have good power and I can turn up the juice up high which gives a better sound than when the juice is low. I find them to give nice quality 'normal sound' and not have anything distinct to make me want to buy them again. I don't felt any sound stage with them and they're far from giving an eargasm. They fit tightly and initially hurt my ears but I've gotten used to them now.

What I have to compare them to besides the k240 are Bose Triports and Skull Candy Hesh'. The Skull Candy Hesh have an average-no-name-sound. The k171s have a much better range and pump much better.

As for the Bose Triports (around the ear), I find they have a better sound quality than the k171s and the k240 and a great sound stage as compared to the k171s but they but don't pump bass so they're not as good as the k171s if you like loud rock/hip hop but great if you like to hear relaxing and quality music at a respectable level.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 13
i own the k171s except that my cat chewed through the replaceable cable and i never got to replacing it, but the headphones are quite good, very durable and quite smart looking though i found them uncomfortable for long periods, made my ears sweaty and were quite tight and fatiguing although i remember buying them because all the reviews said they were the best for long periods, the sound is analytical and not very bassy to me, i only ever use them though average pc sound cards though. if anyone wants the headphones without the cable im happy to put them on ebay

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 13
I have K171s and I like them, considering how much the cost. I use them for computer-based audio work. I don't know whether they're good enough for critical hifi listening, though, but I may end up using them this way whilst I decide what 'long term' headphones to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back