AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,442 of 1,489
It indeed does.
wink.gif
But it's not in one of the pads, it's on both. And of course, I've fine tuned to my taste. I don't want anymore detail/micro-detail than this. It's already too much. I'm discovering sounds I've never heard before in all my collection. It's about 10 hours now non-stop. Some ear fatigue and need some sleep. Talk to ya tomorrow guys.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,444 of 1,489
as we proceed I will be revealing how to do it. I really don't need this to be any secret. It's just that your fine tuning will never be like mine since its up to personal preference. Hard to explain. Talk to ya guys tomorrow.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,445 of 1,489
I've posted the below comparison between the K67 and the K167 to the K67 thread, which isn't exactly receiving much love, so I think I'd also share it here as well.

Before you read on, please bear in mind that:
1. YMMV
2. I own the K67 while the K167 I tested was a demo pair - so feel free to take my view with a grain of salt if you think I'm biased or something.
3. I tested them on simple setups - IPC headphone out, and RWA iMod with Vorzampduo. After a while I focused on the former setup since that's probably my more used setup (I hate to make my bag or pocket heavy). But that also means the results may vary for other amp setups. I haven't tested them on notebooks or any home setups since these won't be my normal usage.
4. Test music included.........well, everything you can think of, mostly in ALAC but some in 320k AAC. I found these cans to be pretty tolerate to compressed formats or poor quality recordings.

Quote:
I am really enjoying my K67 more and more.

I had the chance to spend quality time comparing the K67 and the K167 side by side the other day.......................I wasn't able to do that before I made the K67 purchase but the coiled cable and huge dimensions of the K167 turned me away since I was after a portable solution.

Well, disclaimer: I own the K67 and so it may be natural that I have more love for it than the demo pair of K167. I haven't done ANY burn in to my K67, just casually listening to it for a  bit more than a week, around 2 hours a day. I was told that the K167 was run-in briefly for around 50 hours.

I dun have time for a very detailed comparison now, but in summary:

1. K67 and K167 share the same sound signature - this isn't the least bit unexpected of course, but the point is, they just sound sooooooooo similar.
2. Both are comfy on the noggins. But I'm not one to whine about the K518's comfort level so go figure. Can't deny the circumaural K167 must be better in comfort in the long run.
3. Did I say the two sound really similar?? I mean it.
4. Of course I'd be condemned if I go on and say they sound the same. NO, the K167 betters the K67 in certain areas as follows:

(a) Spaciousness: This is THE single most notable difference. The K167 sound considerably more open than the rather compact sounding K67 to the point that the K167 doesn't really sound like a DJ headphone. Though it is not really unexpected with the much larger enclosures in the K167. BUT, a big but, it is kinda hard to explain but despite the more open sound of the K167, the imaging is more or less on the same level. 

(b) Sub-bass: I've said somewhere that the K67 packs a serious sub-bass oomph, but not too much to bleed into other frequencies. Well, the punch in the K167 is even harder, a tiny bit tighter (sometimes to the point of overwhelming), but that's all. The difference is noticeable if you do a side by side AB test like I did, but it is nothing to write home about really.  Bass extension is more or less the same - both REALLY impressive.

(c) High extension: well, the difference is really subtle, I only noticed it in the tiny twinkle of bells at some point, but yes if you examine that closely the K167 extends a tiny bit further. Both do quite spectacularly for closed cans in this area.

(d) Detail level: The K167 sounds a tiny bit more transparent in the mids, and is perceived to reveal a bit more detail than the K67. But on the other hand the K167 vocals are ever so slightly more recessed than the K67. The K67 vocals are a tiny tiny bit more prominent, and a tiny bit more lush sounding. Bass details are about the same, while the K167 is a bit more revealing in the highs. I like the K167 highs but the K67 follows closely behind.

I think that sums it up. So is the K167 worth the extra outlay, considering the K67 a real killer of a budget portable cans? Well I'd say while the K67 is a killer value, to the point of insanity, the K167 is worth every penny, not very good CP ratio, but worth it. Especially for those who can't stand on-ears, the K167 is one hell of a comfy pair of cans, and don't be fooled by its label as a DJ cans - it can do much more than the stereotyped DJ cans. So can the K67.

May I repeat the disclaimer that I own the K67 so I might be a bit biased without knowing it. I have tried to be as objective as possible - partly because I CAN upgrade to the K167 if I do wish. After the comparison exercise however, I've decided to stick to my K67, partly because of the sonic similarities vs price difference, and partly because of the suitability for a daily portable solution.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,447 of 1,489
For those of you finding the stock earpads too shallow, it turns out the pads from srh750dj's fit the k167 very well... And it has a lot more cushioning against the baffle so the comfort is much improved. The sound doesn't seem much different, will post here if I notice something.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,450 of 1,489
If you guys get a K167, get them from Front End Audio. Their customer service makes me want to hug their company. I'd say that my experience with them with ordering a product was awesome, because I was really finicky and make them do a bunch of things and they just rolled with it.

They'll also price match other sites for you if you ask extra nice. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,451 of 1,489
Quote:
For those of you finding the stock earpads too shallow, it turns out the pads from srh750dj's fit the k167 very well... And it has a lot more cushioning against the baffle so the comfort is much improved. The sound doesn't seem much different, will post here if I notice something.

Thanks.  I might go for those pads.  The comfort issue had put me off of these, especially since I have been going back and forth between them and the incredibly comfortable DT-990.  But the sound on the 167, especially the detail and punch in the bass, has kept me from selling.  In terms of overall SQ, the 990 wins out, but the 167 are easier to drive, portable, and closed, so I'm leaning toward keeping both at this point, especially if I can get the comfort issue resolved on the 167.    

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,453 of 1,489
Can sombody compare the AKG K 167 with the Beyerdynamics DT 770 80 Ohm, i already have the 770's, but want to know how they sound compared to the 167's because the K 167 is more exspensive where i live. but anyways i'm gonna use them for portable purposes if i buy them :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back