AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #796 of 1,489
Quote:

Saw someone post that these fit the AKG K550, though they said snugly. Wonder if it will be a less snug (more what I'm looking for) fit for the K167.

Are planning on getting this case? (also these with shipping are slightly cheaper off the slappa website)

All I know is that those fit the ATH-M50's, and the M50's have a cup width of 8.5~cm. The AKG K167 and 267 have cup widths of ~9cm. I don't know how different the depth or shape of the cups are, but I can assume the AKG's are more bulky in those regards as well.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #797 of 1,489
Yeah I saw that about the guy that said his K550s fit. Surely, these would too, no?

That is the exact style case I would like to have. Semi small and tough enough for virtually anything. It looks like the M-100 case which I want for my K167s.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #798 of 1,489
Quote:
Haha you're not alone buddy. Bit the bullet on these yesterday as I couldn't resist, even though I just got a pair of 1Rs a couple weeks ago.
Can anyone comment on drum and guitar reproduction? Mainly want to know how the timbre and decay is - always looking for the most natural sound. My reference for timbre accuracy is my HJE900 IEM.

The timing is very good on the 167s. To be more specific, attack is spot on and makes a fun listen and they can reproduce decay in the mid to high frequencies over nearly the whole frequency band in a way, that even if you are not an "analyst" you will become one^^. There's some lacking of mid-bass (what doesn't bother me due to my individual taste), but enough to mention it if you're a nitpicker as I am
wink_face.gif
. Still, I'm very pleased with the timbre of the 167s. When it comes to vibrato/tremolo, these closed cans render a smile on my face. Put on any good recording consisting of an acoustic guitar paired with a dominant voice only...and you might also smile^^

Edit: So, regarding the sound, they get at least a 9.0 or maybe even a 9.5 (after a certain burn-in time of course)

As a good test album I'd recommend "Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (1994)" (this album is in my top5 off all time)

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #799 of 1,489
New information on K267 pre-orders and cable type.

Front End Audio has just told me that the cable is a mini-XLR on the cup end, and a 3.5mm plug on the device-end. Also, due to an overwhelming number of pre-orders, some stores have had their orders pushed back to meet demand. This means that we can have stores getting these as early as today, but as late as Mid-January. (Jan 8th or so)

If you can find a store that carries them, you're in luck. The rest of us will have to wait it seems.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #801 of 1,489
Quote:

The timing is very good on the 167s. To be more specific, attack is spot on and makes a fun listen and they can reproduce decay in the mid to high frequencies over nearly the whole frequency band in a way, that even if you are not an "analyst" you will become one^^. There's some lacking of mid-bass (what doesn't bother me due to my individual taste), but enough to mention it if you're a nitpicker as I am
wink_face.gif
. Still, I'm very pleased with the timbre of the 167s. When it comes to vibrato/tremolo, these closed cans render a smile on my face. Put on any good recording consisting of an acoustic guitar paired with a dominant voice only...and you might also smile^^

Edit: So, regarding the sound, they get at least a 9.0 or maybe even a 9.5 (after a certain burn-in time of course)

As a good test album I'd recommend "Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (1994)" (this album is in my top5 off all time)

Thank you for that and I will absolutely check out that album!

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #802 of 1,489
OMG, check this song out: "Jacintha - Trav'lin' Light" from the album "Autumn Leaves (the songs of Johnny Mercer)". At around 4:30 the contrabass gets so deep ...I've honestly never heard such crisp and abyssal deep sub bass before.

I have a perfectly mastered XRCD of it...on request and if allowed here in the forum, I might upload my FLAC transcodings. Sorry, but I'm so impressed, that I had to post this.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #803 of 1,489
Quote:
OMG, check this song out: "Jacintha - Trav'lin' Light" from the album "Autumn Leaves (the songs of Johnny Mercer)". At around 4:30 the contrabass gets so deep ...I've honestly never heard such crisp and abyssal deep sub bass before.

I have a perfectly mastered XRCD of it...on request and if allowed here in the forum, I might upload my FLAC transcodings. Sorry, but I'm so impressed, that I had to post this.

Sure theres nothing against linking privately. *holds hands out* send it my way!

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #804 of 1,489
Quote:

I know how you feel. Have had that sensation countless times. Bass is so so good, especially how deep it goes and how hard it hits below 20Hz. And its not just about tightness, but resolution, detail, texture. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #805 of 1,489
Quote:

I know how you feel. Have had that sensation countless times. Bass is so so good, especially how deep it goes and how hard it hits below 20Hz. And its not just about tightness, but resolution, detail, texture. 

So far, theyre the only headphones in the price range that could properly handle this that I've found:
https://soundcloud.com/kitten/dragonfly-kitten-stockmix

In terms of bass and subbass quality and impact.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #808 of 1,489
Are there any other cans that "beat" these, in terms of SQ, isolation, and portability? (I won't mention price range, that's a given)
I'm sure there are 400$+ closed circumaural headphones with better SQ but aren't nearly as portable or offer the same isolation, so I'm curious if there are any serious contenders, taking those 3 factors into consideration.

also, the last 40minutes have been fun

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #809 of 1,489
Quote:
I'm sure there are 400$+ closed circumaural headphones with better SQ but aren't nearly as portable or offer the same isolation, so I'm curious if there are any serious contenders, taking those 3 factors into consideration.

I'm not so sure
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #810 of 1,489
Quote:
Are there any other cans that "beat" these, in terms of SQ, isolation, and portability? (I won't mention price range, that's a given)

also, the last 40minutes have been fun

I can't say specifically since I haven't heard these, I would only suggest you look into the M-100 as I think they are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back