AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #768 of 1,489
B&H is just amazing. ordered this afternoon and I already got the shipping notice.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #769 of 1,489
e11 is all charged up and had a listen. i have the e11 setting on EQ 1 Low Gain.  EQ 2 sounded good too and the bass never seemed to get away from the K167, but when i listened to the Prodigy, it was too much bass for me. didnt know that was possible.

the e11 for sure enhances the sound.  it doesn't change it.  

lots more break in to go.  will leave the K167 on my itunes.  i have 24.3 days worth of songs according to itunes, so that should do it. :)

so far i am impressed.  if thes really seem to improve a lot, i have found a steal.  if they improve moderately, i feel i made a great choice and if they stay the same, i love them.

time will tell.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #770 of 1,489
Quote:

i want in a headphone treble and bass, thats what i want.  if these pick up a bit of mid bass thru burn in, these will be a wise decision for me.  and of course after amping.

They change greatly for the better.

24HR Pink noise, and then 24HR using miows playlist, works amazingly.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #771 of 1,489
Quote:
Whatever. I hated the ZO2 alone, but liked it dual amped. Anywyays, it's a micro-detail eater.

They're not recessed in the mid bass. They just ave the right quantity and I'm supposed to be a ("moderated") basshead. Cough, cough!!! Just AMP them/EQ them ; )

EDIT: The bass is better than the D2000s.

miowwww, I probably won't be carrying an amp around college, so how does the mid-bass quantity do without one? Now that I know the bass isn't muddy and has sub-bass, I'd like to know about the mid-bass quantity, unamped. How about compared with D2k, PRO900, M50?
And you guys can go on about how I'm not a real audiophile, not amping or modifying or whatever :wink:

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #772 of 1,489
Quote:

They change greatly for the better.

24HR Pink noise, and then 24HR using miows playlist, works amazingly.

what does pink noise really do for phones?
just found 9 hrs of it on youtube....i guess i can do that instead of my playlist from itunes....

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #773 of 1,489
Closing on 10 hours now and I'll have to say miow was correct.  Sorry to have doubted you.  The bass is filling in more.  Still has that wonderful sub-bass but it sounds fuller.  I don't think it's brain burn because I haven't listened to it since the first two hours.  Not sure if it's in the area of mid-bass or the sub-bass has just gotten fuller but it's more dominant.  

This is a very nice sounding headphone for sure.  It is one of the best value headphones out there no doubt.  There really is no part of the sound spectrum that is offensive/overblown.  Other companies really need to take note on what AKG has done with this headphone.  

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #774 of 1,489
Quote:
what does pink noise really do for phones?
just found 9 hrs of it on youtube....i guess i can do that instead of my playlist from itunes....

Its good because of frequencies it hits.

http://simplynoise.com/

Use that.

and afterward:
http://www.speedyshare.com/zSXgp/BURN-IN-STUFF.rar
(Miows burn in playlist for after pink noise)

worked wonders.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #775 of 1,489
Quote:
Closing on 10 hours now and I'll have to say miow was correct.  Sorry to have doubted you.  The bass is filling in more.  Still has that wonderful sub-bass but it sounds fuller.  I don't think it's brain burn because I haven't listened to it since the first two hours.  Not sure if it's in the area of mid-bass or the sub-bass has just gotten fuller but it's more dominant.  

This is a very nice sounding headphone for sure.  It is one of the best value headphones out there no doubt.  There really is no part of the sound spectrum that is offensive/overblown.  Other companies really need to take note on what AKG has done with this headphone.  

Good to hear, son!

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #776 of 1,489
Quote:

Saw lily had success with pink noise and then miow's playlist.

Wondering what you are using for burnin?

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #777 of 1,489
I've tried pink noise, white noise, etc. but just creating a playlist of a couple dozen beat driven, bass heavy electronic tunes cranked at a level barely listenable has worked for me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #778 of 1,489
Who wants to give my playlist a try, just request by PM. I'll be glad to provide :) These songs were carefuly choosen looking at graphic equalizers to work all the frequencies at the highest levels and really exercise the drivers.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #779 of 1,489
Quote:
miowwww, I probably won't be carrying an amp around college, so how does the mid-bass quantity do without one? Now that I know the bass isn't muddy and has sub-bass, I'd like to know about the mid-bass quantity, unamped. How about compared with D2k, PRO900, M50?
And you guys can go on about how I'm not a real audiophile, not amping or modifying or whatever :wink:

Not so much without an amp, my friend. I would prefer to carry one. The mid bass quantity amped is the same as D2k, PRO900 and M50 amped. Unamped I don't know as I never used those phones unamped :s
Quote:

I'm glad the thing's happening to you too, Danny. I think it's not-brain in too, even because I compared them o my bassier IEMs and they have the same quantity now ; )

Quote:
e11 is all charged up and had a listen. i have the e11 setting on EQ 1 Low Gain.  EQ 2 sounded good too and the bass never seemed to get away from the K167, but when i listened to the Prodigy, it was too much bass for me. didnt know that was possible.

the e11 for sure enhances the sound.  it doesn't change it.  

lots more break in to go.  will leave the K167 on my itunes.  i have 24.3 days worth of songs according to itunes, so that should do it. :)

so far i am impressed.  if thes really seem to improve a lot, i have found a steal.  if they improve moderately, i feel i made a great choice and if they stay the same, i love them.

time will tell.

Dude, when you got the time, take the battery off, look at a button there that says High Power/Low Power. Put it at High Power. Makes a difference. ; ) I also prefer High Gain, not sure why you don't :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #780 of 1,489
Ah my first post was buried so I'll ask again. Can anyone give a detailed comparison with the Beyerdynamic DT770? It seems like the one headphone most similar to this one, closed with similar sound signature with good sub-bass, treble, and detailed but recessed mids, and an almost identical price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back