AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #721 of 1,489
Quote:

Thank you Beagle. Just place my order. I had to cancel my order with avshop.ca because they couldn't get them before sometime in January. Maybe Santa will be late this year 
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #722 of 1,489
Quote:
Compared to my M-80 and Aurvana Live, I find the K167 more portable due to the 3D folding mechanism. For example, if I'm travelling with my stuffed notebook bag, there was never room for the M-80. Now, the K167 can fold really flat and fit perfectly into a compartment of my bag.

That's really good to hear. I wanted to do just that. Having my chronos7 in the bag and the K167, flat, in the second compartment.
Having a bag would be nice, still. I'm assuming these cans don't come with one

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #723 of 1,489
Quote:
That's really good to hear. I wanted to do just that. Having my chronos7 in the bag and the K167, flat, in the second compartment.
Having a bag would be nice, still. I'm assuming these cans don't come with one

Yeah they do not... I just use the baggy sennheiser beyerdynamic sells for their headphones. (one thats free with Custom One Pros)

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #725 of 1,489
Quote:
this one http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=1645 ?

I apologize, I mixed up sennheiser and beyerdynamic lol

this is baggy I was referring to:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/headset-bag-2.html

But if that senn bag claims to fit "all" models, it should work.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #726 of 1,489
Received mine a couple of hours ago.  First off, the build quality is average.  I wouldn't feel all that confident lugging these in your backpack.  Plastic feels cheap and I don't have confidence in the yolk.  I am very careful with my equipment so I don't see a problem for myself but for those who are not, I'd be careful.  The coiled cable is slippery plastic and somewhat thick.  It isn't very heavy though.  Still might be annoying for portable use.  

Comfort is very good.  These are lightweight and sufficient clamping force.  I don't foresee any problems with wearing the for hours except for the pads heating up.  

I've been listening to it for the last couple of hours so these are all pre-burn comments.  I haven't noticed any sound changes in the first two hours.  
The bass hits low.  Sub-bass oriented no doubt.  With certain tracks it rumbles but the bass never overpowers anything.  Positioned very well and sounds very good.  I hear no mid-bass humps, which is a good thing.  Mids/vocals seem upper treble oriented.  Sounds very airy.  I wouldn't call the vocals to be forward and definitely not recessed.  Sounds quite natural but bordering on thin sounding at times.  There's no thickness to the sound in this headphone at all.  Airy treble, sounds clean.  Overall very nice sounding and worth the price tag and more based on sound alone.  

The sound does remind me of the K550 but tuned down couple of notches on bass to hit lower, vocals slightly take a step back and up a notch on treble to add more sparkle.  I put on the M-100's (which I've been thoroughly enjoying since saturday, especially the bass) after the K167's and the M-100 sounded thick.  At this point I don't find these to be better or worse than the other portables I have but after some burn, I'll have to really compare them all.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #727 of 1,489
I see. I actually prefer the pliant cloth/leather bags. The laptop bag should do the work of protecting the headphones, I just want something to prevent scratches.

A bit off-topic but I'm thinking about making headphone girl art of these cans, if you guys have any suggestions for the girl feel free to send me a PM

The sound does remind me of the K550 but tuned down a notch on bass and mids and up a notch on treble.  

I've also read that the K550 doesn't pack a lot of bass, I assumed K167's had more impactful bass. Interesting. Thanks for the insight :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #728 of 1,489
I was originally looking at ATHM50/DT770/COP and after reading through basically this whole thread jumped on a pair of the K167. (Will be my first pair of decent cans)

Got these on a best offer on ebay $140 with free shipping so I'm pretty happy, feel free to PM me if you guys want the link.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #730 of 1,489
Perhaps you could just post the name of the seller or link here?\

@DannyBai: People have reported the bass to come out a bit with burn in so I'm hoping that's true. Really looking forward to K167 vs M100.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #731 of 1,489
Quote:
Perhaps you could just post the name of the seller or link here?\

@DannyBai: People have reported the bass to come out a bit with burn in so I'm hoping that's true. Really looking forward to K167 vs M100.

Yeah I'm expecting these to be fine tuned after a few more days but as of now I don't find the bass to lack or sound bad.  I won't mind if it thickens up just slightly but I really like it the way it is.  So far, everything sounds good.  Quite versatile.  Vocals can sound absolutely amazing at times and thin at others.  Most likely it's in the recording.  The other guys hyping these up actually had a good reason to.  They really do sound good.  I remember the stage of the K550 being very good and these are the same.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #733 of 1,489
Quote:
Danny, how would you say the sound compares to the 1R to your ears?

I'll give a better comparison later but initially the clarity and instrument separation goes to the K167's.  It has a livelier treble that brings more airiness to the sound.  I thought the staging was pretty big on the 1R's but the K167's has it beat.  Bass hits harder on the 1R.  There's more mid-bass in the 1R to cause this.  Depending on music choice, K167's bass is softer but hits the low notes only.  1R hits the lows and upper notes as well.  Vocals are more forward on the 1R by a good margin.  I actually like the Sony's vocals more but it can be too forward at times.  I don't foresee this problem with the K167's.  Depending what other headphone I'm comparing against, the differences can be drastic.  I'll input more as I keep listening and comparing.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #734 of 1,489
Quote:
I'll give a better comparison later but initially the clarity and instrument separation goes to the K167's.  It has a livelier treble that brings more airiness to the sound.  I thought the staging was pretty big on the 1R's but the K167's has it beat.  Bass hits harder on the 1R.  There's more mid-bass in the 1R to cause this.  Depending on music choice, K167's bass is softer but hits the low notes only.  1R hits the lows and upper notes as well.  Vocals are more forward on the 1R by a good margin.  I actually like the Sony's vocals more but it can be too forward at times.  I don't foresee this problem with the K167's.  Depending what other headphone I'm comparing against, the differences can be drastic.  I'll input more as I keep listening and comparing.

I second that. In my short listen it seemed the vocals are indeed perceived more dominantly due to the smaller general soundstage of the R1. Anyhow, I like the vocals on the K167 more. They are spot on. OK, a bit on the analytical side, but that's what makes the fun in the 167 IMO.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #735 of 1,489
Quote:
I second that. In my short listen it seemed the vocals are indeed perceived more dominantly due to the smaller general soundstage of the R1. Anyhow, I like the vocals on the K167 more. They are spot on. OK, a bit on the analytical side, but that's what makes the fun in the 167 IMO.

Yep I can see your preferences on the vocals since I am hearing it with certain songs and not on others.  The ones that I hear it on, it sounds more natural.  Others have pinned the 1R as colored in the mids and that is a possibility.  I don't hear this on the 167's.  Another thing I have noticed that the 167's like a little juice.  Just like the UE6000's, it handles amping very well.  The M-100's, Momentums and the 1R due fine without amping.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back