AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #661 of 1,489
Quote:
miow, these seem pretty glossy and plastic to me. Is it just the flash, or is it really this glossy in person? Thanks.

Its matte, and it is glass-fiber reinforced polymer, basically a fiberglass or reinforced plastic. (XRP3)

Edit:
I threw them at the wall, and there is no scratch or damage so... I guess its fine. Unless your trying to brutally murder them....

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #662 of 1,489
Quote:
Would these headphones be good for use with my iphone/ipod? I listen to metalcore and rap as my main genres and a bit of trance/electronic. I just don't want to settle with beats. I'm also looking at MS 400's since they seem pretty solid but I think I like the specs of these better. Also, what's the difference from the k67's to the k167's other than on-ear/over-ear?

K67 is on-ear, and they are more bassy (They sound like DJ headphones) but lack the finess and details of the K167, they also will hurt fast. Beats is like shooting yourself in the ears compared to the K67 even. Now! They handle electronic and trance in an ungodly manner, and they are excellent performers with metal/rap.  They were able to handle a low-dub song I made that only handled well on real subwoofers because the way the frequencies were set, and I must say I was impressed with the result.

As for the iphone and ipod, it depends on generation. iPod touch 4th gen seems to be able to drive it un-amped without much of a difference, though the E11 does help. The nano however seems to be having a rough time so... thats all I can say with that. i4+ should be "ok"

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #666 of 1,489
Quote:

Its matte, and it is glass-fiber reinforced polymer, basically a fiberglass or reinforced plastic. (XRP3)

Edit:
I threw them at the wall, and there is no scratch or damage so... I guess its fine. Unless your trying to brutally murder them....

Can anyone else chime in on the build quality?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #667 of 1,489
All these remarks have me very interested.

We'll see if it plays out like the MDR-1R thread where the mixed opinions didn't come until about 2 or 3 weeks later.

Until then,
popcorn.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #669 of 1,489
Quote:
Wouldn't a basshead in a budget feel happier with the K67's? Is the bass that "visceral"? What about the tightness?

I guess the main reason I don't look into the K67s is that my supra-aural ESW9As bite at my ears so painfully that I get a bad impression on supra-aurals. As for bass quantity, anything between DT880 and M50 levels is passable. Tightness...as long as it's not as muddy as the P5 it's fine. I just don't like super bass-tight cans that end up sounding like HD497s (sounds like an old-school radio 
eek.gif
)

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #670 of 1,489
Guys, these are just my first impressions, I only had 10 minutes with them or so, they sound great, but I believe what you really pay for is the build quality :)

Got a quick listen to the big brother K267, sound is similar, with the K267 you can adjust the bass slightly, build quality is definately better and that's what you pay for, they are not as comfortable as the K167 mainly because they are heavier and they also don't isolate as well, I was a happy though, since the K167 is much better for the money.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #671 of 1,489
It's weird to not see anything but very positive feedback by any1 who has tried the headphone so far, this doesn't often happen because of the variety in user preferences, can this really be "the new M50" in terms of allrounder, good recommendation for the starter head-fi who doesn't know what their preferences are like?

I think K167 ticks all the things to become that:

- Not TOO expensive (under $200)
- Balanced with slight bass emphasis
- Handles every genre pretty well
- Closed (with good isolation), a must for many users
- Not demanding amp wise
- Decent/good design (no Beats flashiness but no Fostex TR50P matureness but modern styling)
- Great comfort

The only somewhat questionable thing is the non-detachable cable and build quality/durability that will surface more clearly as time progresses, too early to make any assumptions yet but even if that would be subpar then it doesn't make it any worse as it's performing so well on other aspects and as usual it has to be a catch somewhere, it can't be exceptional at EVERY point or the pricing just wouldn't make any sense.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #672 of 1,489
I agree totally with everything, except that these aren't M50 replacements; they're in the league above M50. D2k range? I certainly interpret it so. Someone even mentioned PRO900. So basically it's in the top 5 for under $1000 closed cans. That's basically excluding that $2499 Fostex 
wink_face.gif
. Can someone confirm?

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #675 of 1,489
Anyone who's heard this and the dt770 in detail care to make a comparison? Seems like they are very similar, closed all-rounder headphones with good bass at pretty much the same price point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back