AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #631 of 1,489
I never really new the AKG k271 existed until today. They appear to be the closed version of the K701/702/Q701?

How do these compare to those? I have always wanted a pair of the K701s, buts just don't have a real need for open headphones.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #632 of 1,489
Quote:
I never really new the AKG k271 existed until today. They appear to be the closed version of the K701/702/Q701?
How do these compare to those? I have always wanted a pair of the K701s, buts just don't have a real need for open headphones.

K550 is more of a closed version of K701, K271S is older design and don't sound like 701 at all. They were my closed phones of choice for over 5 years, until MDR-1R took the pole.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #633 of 1,489
For the past week I've been looking for closed circumaural headphones for my commute/classes (around 200-300€). M-100's exceed by budget and are too bass heavy. I really wanted to get K550's but they seem hard to carry and walking/drawing with them would (apparently) easily break the seal since they don't grip too well. I was then pointed towards PRO750's but I keep getting mixed messages of Ultrasone's headphones in general - some people like them, some hate their sound signature - they aren't aesthetically pleasing to me either... 

After reading through 5 pages from this thread (here and there), I must say getting these headphones are almost a no-brainer. They are cheap and I'm liking your impressions.

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered already, and I'd love to read through all 43 pages if I had the time, but:

-How good is the isolation (can you compare it to other headphoens in the same price range)
-Is the Fiio E11 good enough, or will it color the phones
-Some of you are saying the K267 might offer worse isolation, why is that?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #634 of 1,489
Regarding K267 ...there hasn't been any in-depth review of them, as they are not out yet. I wouldn't take into account any review until they're not on the market, after burn-in, etc. I'm quite sure k267 will be different from k167, especially because they have 50mm drivers (not 40mm). So, I will wait for them too and read the serious reviews when they come out.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #635 of 1,489
Quote:
For the past week I've been looking for closed circumaural headphones for my commute/classes (around 200-300€). M-100's exceed by budget and are too bass heavy. I really wanted to get K550's but they seem hard to carry and walking/drawing with them would (apparently) easily break the seal since they don't grip too well. I was then pointed towards PRO750's but I keep getting mixed messages of Ultrasone's headphones in general - some people like them, some hate their sound signature - they aren't aesthetically pleasing to me either... 

After reading through 5 pages from this thread (here and there), I must say getting these headphones are almost a no-brainer. They are cheap and I'm liking your impressions.

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered already, and I'd love to read through all 43 pages if I had the time, but:

-How good is the isolation (can you compare it to other headphoens in the same price range)
-Is the Fiio E11 good enough, or will it color the phones
-Some of you are saying the K267 might offer worse isolation, why is that?

- Isolation is excelent. I thought the AiAiAi TMA1s had the best isolation ever, I was wrong, the K167 isolate even more :)
- The E11 does not color the phones in any way. It's a very good affordable (and neutral) amp for them.
- I don't know why the K267 offer worse isolation... Does it? :s

Quote:
Regarding K267 ...there hasn't been any in-depth review of them, as they are not out yet. I wouldn't take into account any review until they're not on the market, after burn-in, etc. I'm quite sure k267 will be different from k167, especially because they have 50mm drivers (not 40mm). So, I will wait for them too and read the serious reviews when they come out.

You're right, I'll do the same.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #636 of 1,489
Quote:

- Isolation is excelent. I thought the AiAiAi TMA1s had the best isolation ever, I was wrong, the K167 isolate even more :)
- The E11 does not color the phones in any way. It's a very good affordable amp for them.
- I don't know why the K267 offer worse isolation... Does it? :s

You're right, I'll do the same.

Glad to hear they isolate well.

About K267's isolation, I read:
Quote:
Has anyone compared these to the M50? If not, could my homie miow do one? :D I know that the amount of bass is the same, but is much tighter (thanks, miow). But I want to know if the 179 (K167 on eBay) minus 99 (M50 on soundprofessionals) = 80 dollars extra is worth it.
And I know by now that the double-the-price K267 is out. I lose bass adjustment, a larger driver, and a detachable cable, but I gain comfort, isolation, and aesthetics.
Also, thank you so much wje. Gosh, this is heaven.

Quote:
Aesthetics look better on the 267, in my opinion - it looks much more 'complete', with the ring and the metal. The build is also better, whereas the K167 has a hinge issue according to one user. 

Also, I doubt the isolation is that much worse, and comfort for one person may be a completely different thing for another. I'm keeping my hopes up.

Either way, I am waiting on more input - I still have my K267 on pre-order, as I know it will be a more complete package.

Ignition didn't completely disagree with Dylan's claim, so I thought you guys were up to something (Perhaps more sound leaks on the K267's due to the bass adjustment feature?)
That's why I asked  :)

Side note: going to pay 250€ for my K167... too bad I don't live in the US/UK ugh..

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #637 of 1,489
Got a quick listen to the big brother K267, sound is similar, with the K267 you can adjust the bass slightly, build quality is definately better and that's what you pay for, they are not as comfortable as the K167 mainly because they are heavier and they also don't isolate as well, I was a happy though, since the K167 is much better for the money.

Glad to hear they isolate well.

About K267's isolation, I read:

Ignition didn't completely disagree with Dylan's claim, so I thought you guys were up to something (Perhaps more sound leaks on the K267's due to the bass adjustment feature?)
That's why I asked  :)

Side note: going to pay 250€ for my K167... too bad I don't live in the US/UK ugh..

no one has heard the k267 except alpha10 quoted above
so only 1 person has commented on them so its we dont really know for sure if they isolate less
dylan or ignition havent heard the k267 yet

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #638 of 1,489
Here I am, about 24 hours into these and I already have the hood opened up on them.  I basically wanted to understand a bit more on pad construction.  The actual foam used is barely a high density foam - if that.  For the time being, I'm going to cut some new foam rings from some memory foam that I have then fill the liners with the better foam instead.  I'm sure it will do wonders for the comfort regarding the pads bottoming out and my ears touching the baffle where the driver is mounted.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #639 of 1,489
Quote:
Here I am, about 24 hours into these and I already have the hood opened up on them.  I basically wanted to understand a bit more on pad construction.  The actual foam used is barely a high density foam - if that.  For the time being, I'm going to cut some new foam rings from some memory foam that I have then fill the liners with the better foam instead.  I'm sure it will do wonders for the comfort regarding the pads bottoming out and my ears touching the baffle where the driver is mounted.

i thought you said these were as comfy as anything you had before?

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #640 of 1,489
Oh noes. That blue foam looks... very similar to foams found in really shoddy cans. I remember taking apart an earpollution cs40 and it had a similar looking blue foam in there.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #641 of 1,489
I wonder if the K550 pads will fit in them? I may try that when I get my pair.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #643 of 1,489
I know I might get biased opinions here, but I'm looking for a substitute for my M-50s.

Current contenders are K167 and Beyer Custom Ones, I'm looking for closed circum-aural design and a significant SQ improvement.

Which one would you chose?

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #645 of 1,489
Quote:
I know I might get biased opinions here, but I'm looking for a substitute for my M-50s.
Current contenders are K167 and Beyer Custom Ones, I'm looking for closed circum-aural design and a significant SQ improvement.
Which one would you chose?

What's wrong with your M50s? And what leads you to want to replace them with these also marvelous cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back