AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #407 of 1,489
Quote:
Question for you guys,  the frequency range is abit....iffy looking. But otherwise, Im going to order it + the e11 later tonight, any genres that it suffers in?

Frankly, statistically speaking there is a high chance you wouldn't hear a difference if the same drivers would be limited to 20Hz - 20 kHz instead of the 15Hz - 23kHz which are stated in the spec sheet. But to answer your question, meanwhile I've thrown so many different genres at the 167 by now, that I can surely state, that it's musicality can keep up with classic music, electronica, prog. rock and metal as well. The K167 even shines with live recordings and acoustical sessions, too (assumed your tracks have a good recording quality^^).

Btw, the E12 looks promising...but since I own a Galaxy Note 2, I'll wait until "Supercurio" implements his "Voodoo Sound Mod" into the ROM of the Note 2 to use all the abilities of the built in Wolfson DAC (..back in the Galaxy S1 it worked a treat)
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #408 of 1,489
Quote:
any genres that it suffers in?

None.

EDIT: burn-in has a dramatic effect in these phones. Worth doing it for at least 50 hours before listening. Sound gets so clean and bass so tight. It's the phone that most benefits from burn-in that I've tried.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #411 of 1,489
These phones indeed give the sensation of being there, I got many examples of that here. I think they sound so real and so engaging, so involving, that they transport you right there, live with the band.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #412 of 1,489
Quote:
 burn-in has a dramatic effect in these phones. Worth doing it for at least 50 hours before listening. Sound gets so clean and bass so tight. It's the phone that most benefits from burn-in that I've tried.

this^

I ran pink noise all yesterday and did some listening last night and again this morning.

WOW! 

Not exaggerating. K167 does it all, it rocks, bass is full and powerful (but kept down where it should be), mids and top are clean and open, low level detail is dumped in your lap. Whatever is on your recording, this will tell you exactly what's up. It gives you correct information about each recordings space and imaging. And everything hangs together and gels. These are FUN and honest.

All this for $199...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nits?

Trace of midrange nasality at times. Just a trace.

Fit is very tight. I found these excruciatingly painful to wear last night. Gave me a headache. I carefully flexed the headband but not much change. This morning they felt much better. I guess they will loosen up naturally on their own.

So what will the K267 sound like? Maybe more serious but a little less fun? I've got the K167. I can wait to find out.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #413 of 1,489
this^

I ran pink noise all yesterday and did some listening last night and again this morning.

WOW! 

Not exaggerating. K167 does it all, it rocks, bass is full and powerful (but kept down where it should be), mids and top are clean and open, low level detail is dumped in your lap. Whatever is on your recording, this will tell you exactly what's up. It gives you correct information about each recordings space and imaging. And everything hangs together and gels. These are FUN and honest.

Nits?

Trace of midrange nasality at times. Just a trace.

Fit is very tight. I found these excruciatingly painful to wear last night. Gave me a headache. I carefully flexed the headband but not much change. This morning they felt much better. I guess they will loosen up naturally on their own.

So what will the K267 sound like? Maybe more serious but a little less fun? I've got the K167. I can wait to find out.

thanks for sharing!
it sounds like good news for akg

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #415 of 1,489
Quote:

this^

WOW! 

$199 is indeed a big laugh
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #417 of 1,489
also, sadly, i just called AKG customer service.  they told me to expect a Jan 21 ship date for the K267.

looks like i will be buying the 167.  i cant wait that long.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #418 of 1,489
I was holding out for the K267, but man the great reviews and the price of the K167 is making it hard, especially with the K267 constant delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back