AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #391 of 1,489
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Eagerly waiting your impressions. How does the build quality feel?

After reading about the cracking problems earlier, I took great care to open them up slowly, and I did hear some small noises. However, this was just from waking them from their slumber, so to speak. I found the fit a little tight so I flexed the top of the headband by holding it only in that area and pushing down on the very top (middle). It made the fit a bit looser and more comfortable. I would not flex/pull apart from the earpieces, in order to avoid the plastic plate cracking (which the earlier poster had happen). But the build does look nice, which bodes well for the K267.

The drivers have woken up as well. Midrange has smoothed a bit over the last 6 hours of pink noise running through them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #392 of 1,489
These phones are so good that I'm loving music that I hated before (simply could not listen to, like Latin/Cuban and stuff). Whatever that you throw in here, sounds terrific. The resolution/detail, bass, treble and energy/dynamics is to die for. I've never heard anything like this before, not even the DENON D5000s.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #393 of 1,489
Quote:
The customer service didn't even know that the product existed. First they said this might be a Pro product, so ask them. Then the pro dept said it might be a consumer product, so ask them. Then there was email forwarding to different departments. They even asked when and where I bought it....friggin on Amazon.
And you want me to get a replacement?
They were polite about it and tried to get me some help, but I was like no thanks.

bad customer service, so they havent replied your complaint yet?

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #395 of 1,489

After reading about the cracking problems earlier, I took great care to open them up slowly, and I did hear some small noises. However, this was just from waking them from their slumber, so to speak. I found the fit a little tight so I flexed the top of the headband by holding it only in that area and pushing down on the very top (middle). It made the fit a bit looser and more comfortable. I would not flex/pull apart from the earpieces, in order to avoid the plastic plate cracking (which the earlier poster had happen). But the build does look nice, which bodes well for the K267.

The drivers have woken up as well. Midrange has smoothed a bit over the last 6 hours of pink noise running through them.

The original cheap K518 build so sturdy, so if the expensive one cracked like tha is a sign of lower build quality. Or at least failed batch. Need to wait and see.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #397 of 1,489
Im enjoying my M80s but now Im looking for something with more detail and tighter bass, along the lines of my Klipsch X5 iems. The iems dont have as full a sound as my M80 but they are more detailed with a more distinct sound stage. I guess Im looking for a happy medium between the 2. Something capable of delivering in the bass department while having a very controlled, defined frequency range that picks out the scratch of fingers on guitar strings, breaths between lines and the impact of the stick hitting the drum. I love that kind of detail as it means a cleaner playback of the harsh bombardment death metal recordings have. The more I read it seems these phones deliver in that regard but then Ive read similar regarding the Soundmagics. The latter have very little in the review department, even less than the AKG so it would be prudent to wait and see. Tough decisions.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #399 of 1,489
The K167 has (MUCH) more sub-bass. Mid bass is is about the same quantity. Impact is superior on the K167 because bass is much tighter. Then you got even better treble (and the HP700 treble is good). It's quite a big difference, the K167 is much better.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #400 of 1,489
Quote:

I had the PRO900. The bass of the K167 is tighter and deeper, but especially tighter and the treble is MUCH better. They also have better resolution/detail. Are more revealing. 

ohhh my! well then... I'M SOLD! But I may just wait for the K267 and get the new Fiio E12. I think those are going to be a good match. :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #402 of 1,489
Question for you guys,  the frequency range is abit....iffy looking. But otherwise, Im going to order it + the e11 later tonight, any genres that it suffers in?

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #405 of 1,489
Quote:

bad customer service, so they havent replied your complaint yet?

Which branch? Everytime I had issues w/ my AKGs in USA it was just one guy who always answered my emails and he always just shipped me new pair & usually told me just to toss the old pair away (K450 X3, k701) if not I just had to ship them the old pair back once I got the new one which was simply amazing. I even had pad issues with the K501 & they shipped me a new set all the way from eu since they had none in NA office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back