AKG K1000: Tube or Solid State?
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the K1000's with a few solid state amplifiers, including a B22 (balanced). Once of the more satisfying amplifiers was the Kenwood KA7100 I own. Its an old SS amp from 1978 and it sounded amazing with the K1000's.

Thanks !! That's exactly the kind of info i'm looking for (and hopefully others as well).Hmmm.. beefy vintage SS... interesting... makes me think about that beast of a Sansui amp I have sitting in the basement .(it's screaming for a restoration)

Keep em coming people..
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #32 of 66
I have been listening to mine with a Linn LK280, old but not vintage, 2x80 W SS amp, and I've been quite happy. Unfortunately the Linn seems to about to betray me, showing some irregularities lately, so I am following this thread with an interest of my own. Besides, I tried them with my SET 300B amp, but it was not a match, unfortunately.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #33 of 66
I think anyone would be pleasantly surprised matching the K1000's with a class-T based amp. I had the opportunity to try this last weekend, and must say that I had never heard these cans so well controlled - truly a unique experience

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 66
I am listening to my K1000's on a 2050 Tripath T-amp as I type. I have done so intermittently for years. I think it is a great combo and can be a very cost-effective way to power them. If forced to, I would be happy with it forever.

I always thought it was roughly equivalent to a well-tubed 300b. This is high praise in my mind.

I also listen to them driven by a First Watt F5 clone. IMO, it is an outstanding match and is my favorite pairing.

These are impressions I have from long term casual listening. Not scientific comparisons by any stretch so take it FWIW.

I have had a long term love affair with the K1000's. They are amazing.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #35 of 66
Interesting stuff ! So far I am extremely happy with the way these are working with my 300B amp and am firmly kicking myself for not jumping, the few times I have seen some new production Western Electrics pop up for decent prices.

Still...there are numerous amps out there that I would love to hear these with. I really would like to hear them off a PP 2a3.

RonD2...what do you like about the F5 over your 300B amp ?

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #36 of 66
A few caveats to my impressions.

-My 300b is an AudioNote Kit-1 and while it has all the upgrades (black gates, great tubes, etc.), I won't pretend it is SOTA.

-I am a lifelong music listener now approaching 60 (groan)! That means I have my own biases and 60 yr. old ears. I actually think my hearing is more acute than ever (hubris?). I definitely focus on the mid-range.

-The F5 is hardwired to a Buffalo/Ivy combination (fed flacs via the SPDIF of a Juli@ at the moment). I have not heard the 300b in this chain. The last time I heard the 300b, it was via an Opus/Aikido combo.

Having said that, I am quite certain that the K1000's have never sounded better. Some of the improvement is due to the Buffalo (really the ESS Sabre chip) but I'm pretty sure its the amp as well.

The improvement in sound is in all the usual criteria. Cleaner, more articulate, delicate, spacious and effortless.

What is most important to me is that it is more engaging emotionally. I am listening now as I type this and I am continually being distracted by the music. While this certainly has happened with my other setups, it has never been to this degree and frequency.

I listen to a fair amount of live (legal) boots. Usually great music with acceptable sound. I am most shocked at the improvement in their sound.

I have listened to my AudioNote for about 15 years, the Tripath 2050 for about 5, a First Watt F4 clone for nearly 2 and the F5 for about 3 months. I stopped doing quick switch comparisons as I have found that listening in a non-pressurized setting over time is what is most important.

I could go on but this is already too long. Just a final thought. I am NOT saying that a well executed 300b in this chain wouldn't sound as good. It probably would. BTW, an F5 clone can be built for about the cost of a good set of 300b tubes thanks to the unbelievable attitude of Nelson Pass to permit/encourage DIY clones of his designs.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #37 of 66
With the K1000s I've just sold on head-fi I've used Mastersound 300BPSE integrated amp with the superb Emission Labs 300BXLS tubes (2 per channel) and I've used Fujitsu Eclispe A502 amp. Both are equally as good to my ears but very different presentation of musical performances.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobettermusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the K1000s I've just sold on head-fi I've used Mastersound 300BPSE integrated amp with the superb Emission Labs 300BXLS tubes (2 per channel) and I've used Fujitsu Eclispe A502 amp. Both are equally as good to my ears but very different presentation of musical performances.

Are you keeping the W5000s as your main headphone? Just wondering...

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #39 of 66
Have tried a lot of amps both SS and tubes. best combo I have heard them is with a Jadis Defy pouring on the power and the angle of the drivers about one third arced out. The key point that I have found is that they not only need a very high quality warm amp but they also need some kick ass power to get energized!

Yea those 300B amps sound good.......for the first ten minutes. Anything beyond Lute and female vocals you want to juice them up and they scale oh so well. Watch your ears as with the right amp they do not fall apart with volume, they actually start to soar. Perfect foil for pleasant Senn's and pristine stats. Only real men need apply................

Dan

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonD2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The F5 is hardwired to a Buffalo/Ivy combination (fed flacs via the SPDIF of a Juli@ at the moment). I have not heard the 300b in this chain. The last time I heard the 300b, it was via an Opus/Aikido combo.

Having said that, I am quite certain that the K1000's have never sounded better. Some of the improvement is due to the Buffalo (really the ESS Sabre chip) but I'm pretty sure its the amp as well.

The improvement in sound is in all the usual criteria. Cleaner, more articulate, delicate, spacious and effortless.

What is most important to me is that it is more engaging emotionally. I am listening now as I type this and I am continually being distracted by the music. While this certainly has happened with my other setups, it has never been to this degree and frequency.

I am glad I discovered your post as I find it very interesting for my curent situation. I own a pair of K1000's and I am about to start building an amp fpr them (a "serious" one, the T-amp I am using at the moment is resonable but too rolled off in the bass and a bit too cold sounding). Since I want more bass and warmth I thought an F2 would be the perfect idea, but the F5 also caught my interest. Can you comment a bit on the bass quantity and extension of your F5 / K1000 combo? The F2 is a trans-conductance amplifier, so I was thinking it would be my best bet...

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 66
IMO, the F5 is a noticeable improvement in virtually every way over my Tripath 2050 (it's a modded Teac that could, no doubt, be improved with further work). I still listen to and like the tripath, btw.

The bass is fuller (which is welcomed with the K1K's), more defined and tuneful. I am not a bass fanatic at all so maybe I am not the best person to ask. Bass does not seem to me to be a strong suit of the K1K.

Don't know how you could go wrong with the F5.

If you don't already know it, go to the Pass section of diyAudio.com for more info.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would they be "good" with Class D amps like Bel Cantos or Kharma MP150s?

The RWA Signature 30.2 is Class D (switching amplifier) afaik, and its certainly "good" with the K1000.
k1000smile.gif

Don't know how it compares in sound to the two amplifiers you listed though.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #45 of 66
I just hooked up the K1K to a Norh 9 tubed integrated last night and I've got to say that I much prefer the sound coming from this low wattage tubed amp over the 100 watt Acurus. The sound has become more full, robust and fleshed out while not losing any of the incredible detail and adding to the soundstaging capabilities.

Really pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back