AKG K1000 Replacement Cable
Dec 27, 2005 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pawlowski6132

Banned
Hi all. I have the above coming shortly and am already thinking about cable upgrades. As a result of some light research, I haven't seen much mention of anything working well aside from the Stefan Audioart model. Am I missing something?

thanx in advance

Dec 27, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 13
An alternative to the stock extension cable includes Larry's Headphile version, which is much more reasonably priced than the SAA version:

http://www.headphile.com/page8.html

Never heard it though. I'd wait until you get the headphones, and try them as stock before looking for a different extension. With your amp & source, you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Dec 27, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Also Moon Audio can make you a AKG K1000 XLR->1/4" adapter in their Silver, Blue, and Black Dragon models. Ask Drew, he will hook you up!
k1000smile.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanx everyone. I will begin researching these alternatives but, will indeed to see if I feel it is even necessary. My philosophy has always been, however, that when spending so much on a system, it's worth spending a little bit more to ensure that you're realizing 100% of your systems potential.

Has anyone experienced the Zu cable??

Dec 28, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 13
I've been using a cable built by Edwood. It's an xlr to 1/4 and sounds great with my Raptor (haven't been using the K1000 lately). I haven't compared it to any of the other cables out there.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Also, as a follow up to my original post...help me understand how linking an "upgrade" cable to the original "bad" cable works to improve sound?

I use a very well-made custom cable tail made by headfi member "Orpheus". It attaches to the (hardwired) section of "bad cable" on the K-1000, and I can tell you that it does sound significantly different than the stock cable which it replaced. "Upgrade" cable changes can make a noticeable difference by providing better EMI/RFI noise rejection, and depending the design and materials used, they can work to alter the tonal balance of the sound you hear. These are two ways that changing only 1/2 of the cable can change the entire cable's performance, hopefully to your satisfaction. When you join the two different halves you essentially have a "new" cable. I think my new cable sounds better than the stock one (as well as sounding "different"), but that is a personal judgement call.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Has anyhone ever heard of this cable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/OFC-headphone-ex...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm using that cable right now, to connect K1000s to DAC1. It was a significant upgrade over the stock extention cable (reterminated with a radio shack 1/4-inch jack). The stock extention sounded quite harsh. I'm quite happy with the eBay cable, it might be the only thing thats keeping me from going insane from not having a better amp to drive K1000s.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Has anyone tried a speaker cable or interconnect with K1000?

Yes, I custom made a tail-end cable for my K1000s using Kimber 8TC speaker wire. The 8TC is suitable for bi-wiring speakers, so it has enough separate conductors that you can run all four wires for the K1000 through a single cable.

I'm still running the stock AKG wire on the end attached to the headphones. The Kimber 8TC replaced the extension wire, and noticeably improved the bass response.

Kimber 8TC is expensive, though. I already had a piece of it laying around unused, so I used it up. If I had to fork out the bucks to acquire it, I probably would have went for the hardwired cable upgrade from Stefan AudioArt.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi I m looking for a end part of the cable for my 1000s. I will NOT fiddle with the stock that goes out of the phone. But if one can get better sound just by changing the stock extension Im on it. Thread is a bit old though. Does anyone have tips on links or sellers at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back