AKG K1000 - Possible return to production
Oct 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #151 of 159
I have nothing against painting it green and calling it Quincy's, if that helps you sell to the sheep.

I even think they chose the wrong person for that, Quincy is too high brow, they should have chosen Justin Bieber's dog.
smily_headphones1.gif

But take that money and improve the product.

Look at Ultrasone, they have the same driver in many headphones, they release more and more limited, sheep skinned versions, but at least they launch different headphones and I think they ARE improving their product bit by bit.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #155 of 159

Quote:
OT, but I have to ask somewhere. Has anyone semi-critically compared a K1000 with and without the PCB boards on the drivers? Is there some one daring enough to bypass the circuitry and check for me to see if there are any sonic benefits of the PCB's? I seem to get distortion when playing relatively bass heavy passages at high volume on my K1k drivers. Normal? Under-amplification? No PCB's?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" /> I sent a few PM's to people, but either got no response, or they just didn't know.

Thanks for any and all help, guys.

I did some measurements on this a year or two ago for both early and late production K1000. The PCBs attenuate part of the upper-midrange & treble to make the response flatter. There is absolutely no good reason to use the K1000 without them, except maybe if you have an amp with a ridiculously high output impedance that doesn't play nice with the impedance spike of the filter.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #156 of 159
Quote:
The current AKG is highly unlikely to be able to create a headphone as good as the early version of the K1000.
popcorn.gif

I do believe the gauntlet has been thrown down!

What say you AKG????

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #158 of 159

Quote:

I did some measurements on this a year or two ago for both early and late production K1000. The PCBs attenuate part of the upper-midrange & treble to make the response flatter. There is absolutely no good reason to use the K1000 without them, except maybe if you have an amp with a ridiculously high output impedance that doesn't play nice with the impedance spike of the filter.

Ok so I felt adventurous and took apart my K1000, removed the PCB, and desoldered the components. Now I have good measurements for the filter PCB and exactly how it affects the sound. I may end up tweaking it some.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #159 of 159
You're the freakin' man Fitz. For my DIY project the PCB's will definitely not fit in the enclosure I'll be using. It'd be interesting to know the values of all the components in order to possibly create a rat's nest version which I could eventually install inline with my K1k drivers. Until then, I'll just have to go boardless.

At any rate, thanks for the valuable info. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back