AKG K1000 Leakage?
Oct 26, 2006 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I’m considering finding a pair of K1000s for use in an office system. Sad to say, I have more time available after normal working hours and on Saturdays for listening than I do at home. I’m concerned about sound leakage as the earpieces stand-off from the head and I’ve seen various reports that there are no secrets when using these cans.

Within reason this should not be a problem. It is a relatively quiet office environment and more so after 5 when most folks leave. My next door neighbor can hear when I’m rocking with my HD600s but this is not an issue. Often, he and others will listen to music after hours via their PC speakers at low volumes.

So, let’s say I’m listening to K1000s at a reasonable volume. To folks in adjoining areas, will this sound like I’m listening to my PC speakers or will it sound more like a boom box on a bus?

For what it’s worth, my work environment is the dreaded “cube farm” comprised of 8’ by 10’ pens with 5’ high walls. The ceilings are 8’ with acoustic tiling and floor is industrial carpeting.

Best regards,
Steve

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA
Often, he and others will listen to music after hours via their PC speakers at low volumes.

tried just now, at moderate levels, that is what k1ks sound like to me. theyll now what youre listening to, but not loud enough to annoy, esp if they have their own thing playing

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 9
The K1000 and HE90 are the most "leaky" phones I've ever encountered - I brought in my K1000s to work (with the cute lil' T-amp) on a Saturday and a fellow down the hall asked me to "turn that god-awful racket down;" it WAS Mahler's 8th so I can empathize with the "god-awful" part!
rolleyes.gif
Now I use the K271S and no one complains when I blast Dr. Dre!

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The K1000 and HE90 are the most "leaky" phones I've ever encountered - I brought in my K1000s to work (with the cute lil' T-amp) on a Saturday and a fellow down the hall asked me to "turn that god-awful racket down;" it WAS Mahler's 8th so I can empathize with the "god-awful" part!
rolleyes.gif
Now I use the K271S and no one complains when I blast Dr. Dre!

LOL

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 9
K 1000 is a lot more like small PC speakers than a boom box on a bus. If your officemates are okay with reasonable listening from PC speakers, then they should be fine with the K 1000.

Also just to give a sense of scale - yes, K 1000 leaks more than HD600. But it leaks a LOT less than a boombox, which is designed to throw a full sound 3 feet away.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Like jjcha says, it'll sound like PC speakers. How loud depends on how loud you listen to your music. Even at low levels, the K1000 still represents marco and micro dynamics well.

But that's not important. Your major concern should be will your co-workers quietly ignore you with the K1000 on or will they take pictures, make fun, question your sanity, mark you as head geek, and make HR issue a headdress or headphone policy.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
K 1000 is a lot more like small PC speakers than a boom box on a bus. If your officemates are okay with reasonable listening from PC speakers, then they should be fine with the K 1000.

Also just to give a sense of scale - yes, K 1000 leaks more than HD600. But it leaks a LOT less than a boombox, which is designed to throw a full sound 3 feet away.

Best regards,

-Jason

I second this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back