AKG K1000: How big is your headstage?
Apr 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

babyoh

100+ Head-Fier
I just tested it with the walkaround tracks on some test CDs (XLO / Sheffield Labs, XLO / Reference Recordings). The angle of the drivers are set at around 30 degrees. My left/right headstage is about 5-6ft away from my head. Front headstage is about 6ft deep. Back headstage is about 2-3ft from the back of my head. How about yours? I wonder if I can improve on the width and depth with better equipment or I have pretty much reached the limit of the K1000.

P.S. The K1000 sounded so real and spooky as if the guy was walking around in my room.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Well if I put the speakers on their full range the soundstage is massive, way too big imo, I use them at about 1cm apart from the headband, sounds like a proper soundstage to me.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 7
The width and depth seem to change with the recording. I've never quite been able to quantify how deep and wide they are, but I sure love the soundstage they present.

If you want a more expansive soundstage, try a pair of dipole speakers. There's nothing quite like them, save for the real thing.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the size that matters, it's...oh wait, we're not talking about that. So K1000 is not a euphemism for...oh.

lol
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My left/right headstage is about 5-6ft away from my head. Front headstage is about 6ft deep. Back headstage is about 2-3ft from the back of my head.

That famous K1000 soundstage seems to be damn good. I can't remember anything I could measure more than half a foot away.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 7
It certainly depends on the record, and how much I swivel the K1000's.
Hard to set a number on how big it is, but no other headphone I have heard can match it.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back