AKG K1000 - Hardwire Exotic Speaker Cable, what do you think?
Jun 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

newneringa

New Head-Fier
Just bought another used pair as spare so I can try other aftermarket cable with mine SAA hardwired pair.

has anyone ever think of this? I am thinking of Kubala emotion speaker cable or synergistic research Precision reference Speaker cable, but then the driver has to be modified to fit those hugh speaker cable and I think they will be MUCH btter than SAA k1000 cable.

I am not good with solder and have destroyed one pair when I tried to replace the SAA cable myself. so does anyone know anyone in los angeles who do this for a fee? I know there was a ex- AKG employee used to do this but I am not sure if he live in LA.

what do you think ?
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM 'Patrick82', he's pretty experienced with this sort of stuff.

If you want someone a little less extreme, 'Fitz' is AKGod

yeah, patrick82, I remember his posts. he actually cut vahalla cable and try to fit them into k1000, absolutely genius and filthy rich! I do not think I can ever do that!

unfortunately, fitz is not in LA, California.
triportsad.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 15
Why? They're not engineered to have a thick cable jammed into them.

The enclosures have an effect on the sound, too, so modifying them might not get you what you want. Or possibly offset any "benefit" you get from the cable. They're not designed to support the weight of a very heavy cable, so they might pull the lead right out of the voicecoils or other irreparable damage.

That sounds like a good way to destroy a second pair. Mind you, there are quite a few people who would have paid a lot of money and gotten a lot of use from the pair you destroyed. Are you sure you want to risk another pair?

If you want to dink around with cables like this, just get a pair of bookshelf nearfield monitors and have fun.

Also, Patrick82 hasn't been heard from in awhile. He posted some thread about having been arrested and asking about jail. Then he disappeared.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Patrick82 hasn't been heard from in awhile. He posted some thread about having been arrested and asking about jail. Then he disappeared.

I honestly thought you were serious. I checked, and he logged in today...

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

LOL
It's very "Patrick82" !

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 15
An other option, newneringa.

Say that you decided to get some fancy new wires for your K1000, couldn't find anybody in your neighborhood that could do it for you, you decided to have another go – even with the fresh memory of the former disaster. You go ahead with the disassembly, heat up the solder iron and start working. Oh no! you destroyed yet another pair, d'oh!
This, we will agree, would be a great tragedy, now no-one will ever experience the magic these wonderful earspeakers used to produce.
So, here's my proposition: Instead of destroying them, which will serve nobody any good, you could donate them to me, so that at least one person will experience the K1000 joy. What do you say? Id say it seems like a no-brainer, but it's totally up to you.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 15
it's been more than 3 years since i disembler my pair of k1000. but judging from my memory and the picture of this thread :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/k10...-guide-420569/

it's possible, but need some modifications.

let's say i get a speaker cable with spades:

Speaker Cable - Synergistic Research

then i will either bend or cut one of the spade to make it smaller and fit into that small space between pcb board and driver unit.
the figure out someway to glue the cable to the botton part of driver unit. then it will stay. then i will add some pin in the middle of the cable and pin the cable to my pocket whenever i hear them. then i do not have to worry about the weight of the cable.

what do you guys think? i think i have got it all figure out, i just need someone who is experience to do the job. I am certainly not up to the task .

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

The enclosures have an effect on the sound, too, so modifying them might not get you what you want.

oh, forgot to mention my k1000 is almost completely "naked". outer metal cage has been removed and inner cage has been cut into 1/4 to protect the pcb board and that tiny wire.

so that will not be a problem.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 15
all you will be doing is making your K1000 even more inefficient IMO

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 15
One of my K1000s a while back had speaker cables (can't remember which one)... it was pretty heavy and stiff - not really practical imho. A lot of speakers are like that ...

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I talked with Patrick82 just a few days ago

FWIW he ditched all the massive cabling
He's going with the few is better approach

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 15
/me like this thread!
k1000smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Since I am quite close to picking up a second K1000 pair, allowing me to hear the difference between stock and aftermarket cable.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 15
first thing - this cables are so heavy that they would pull of the headphones of our head and are designed for much more current - second thing - was thinking of doing the same but with IC xD - but came to conclusion that it's not worth it - to expensive - and after You deassemble IC is basicly wothless and has no reasle value :/ in case You didn't like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back