AKG K1000 Cable Replacement
Oct 25, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 71
Hi orpheus.

Now that you have replaced the extension cable you must be considering changing the main cable. Let me know when it is done, and I will drive over with my stock K-1000 and SAC for a comparison
wink.gif

Oh yeah, go for red. It will draw attention away from the headband!

gerG

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #33 of 71
alrighty Greg... let's just say some day you do drive the zillion miles to LA... let me know. heh he. (i would love to get my hands on your SAC amp!)

...i will be making another cable, but this time terminated with spades for the Monarchy class A amp arriving here next week. but it will be pretty much the same design, except without the plug. that amp got some pretty good reviews, so hopefully it will drive the k1000's well. anyone try the Monarchy SM-70 with your K1000?

randytsuch, i live in Arcadia, so if you live nearby, i don't mind doing some comparison tests with you.

dean

Oct 25, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #34 of 71
Hi Dean,
I live in Brentwood, and work in WLA, so I don't make it out to your neck of the woods very often. Other problem is I am usually busy in the weekends with the kids, but it would be cool to hook up sometime. I would like to check you the new cable you are making up with spades, as I that's what I need to hook up my 1000's.

Randy

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #36 of 71
"let's just say some day you do drive the zillion miles to LA"

You kidding? Phoenix is a suburb of LA these days! Seems like it was a 5 hour blast each way last time I drove it, and that was in my truck. If you get brave enough to cut into those cans it will precipitate a headphone meet. I may even drag along a subwoofer for the K1000s.

A complication occurred to me: my K-1000/SAC combo was originally wired out of phase (Jan tipped me off). The real pin out on the amp made sense to me (bottom 2 pins were ground) so I rewired the XLR on the phones to match. I still don't know which end the crossup was on, so you may want to check the true polarity of your cans. My SAC also has a 1/4" jack now, so cable swapping experiments are a snap! Only trouble is that the little beast needs an hour to warm up (I don't leave it on).

Later
gerG

Oct 25, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 71
hmm... that's very weird. how did he know the phones were wired wrong? is there any way to test?

that's very interesting. if you could tell me the specifics, please. luckily, that's easy to fix... just gotta desolder the xlr and redo it.

ps--by the way, i got a sub. heh he. it's for the studio... but they sound great. got the nhtpro b-20's... 2x 10" woofers, with a 1" thick surround! they aren't the deepest you can get, but they match my a-20's. 1000 watts in a near-field system! crazy huh?

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #38 of 71
When I bought the SAC amp I asked Jan to make me an adapter so I can also plug my HD580 with the SAC amp.

Jan said he has never done that before and he might have to rewire the amp. Jan opened the amp and later found out that the wiring was wrong. kwkarth should be the first person to discouver the wiring problem.

So people should contact kwkarth or Jan for more details about the wiring problem.

Oct 26, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #42 of 71
I don't know which one was "wrong". Jan recommended that I rewire the amp, but as I mentioned, the amp wiring made sense.

A test recording may not reveal phase problems with headphones, especially the K1000. The test recordings were designed for speakers. I ended up doing the same trick I use for speakers in car systems: apply 1.2 v dc to the input terminals and see which way the cone moves. I actually did this through the amp on the K1000s since I wanted the whole system involved. 1.2 v came from the fact that a NiMH battery was the lowest voltage DC source that I had around. Use caution if feeding this through an amp, it is a big signal. Make sure the volume is way down.

I have seen many people using adapters with the SAC. I didn't want an extra plug/cable in the line, and the Neutrik locking 1/4" jack was a drop in (except for a slight rotation required due to the bolt pattern). I also made a set of cables with RCA on one end and XLR on the other for the input. No more adapters!

Orpheus, don't worry, if a 1 kilowatt nearfield system were crazy they would have locked me up by now
biggrin.gif

On the other hand the 16" sub that I just built into my commuter vehicle may have put me over the line. Expect a report on this project soon.

gerG

Oct 26, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #43 of 71
yup, you're right... you probably won't hear very much phase cancellation effect with headphones.... maybe a little, since these headphones purposely leak to the other side. ...but can your brain discern any other effect, other than hearing a phase cancellation (loss of volume and thinness)?--does it change our perception of 3d orientation with headphones that are out of phase?

but when you did the battery check thing (i'm too scared to do this one)... the cones moved in the appropriate direction right? as i understand it, it's the SAC amp that was wired wrong... that's what you implied right?

--so, anyone else want to demo the cables after Garvier? he has them right now, so it won't be long.

ps-...we both are probably gonna need 10kwatt amps someday... and 1kwatt hearing aids. heh he.

Oct 26, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #44 of 71
This is an easy one to answer. Unscrew the back of the Neutrick on the phone cord, carefully pull off the split clamp, and you will see how the plug is wired. Each side has a center conductor and a shield. These are consistent for each side, so you can trace your adapter cable to see what ends up where.

Red wire = right driver +. Shield = negative.

I double checked with a battery and this polarity does indeed yield positive cone motion.

While I was at it I took off one of the wire covers from one of the cans and discovered the following:

There are 2 screws holding it on, and they are very soft (heads strip easily)

The connections are inside the can, and not under the black cover. Changing the cable will be a pain. I won't be tackling that one in the near future.

It is possible to rotate the strain relief so that the cables come out the back. The cable has to rotated carefully in the strain block to avoid rotation in the internal components of the can. Extreme caution is advised.

If I get much more curious about these things I had better get another set for spare parts!

Later
gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back