AKG K 702 and Indeed hybrid amp
Dec 1, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I pulled the trigger on a pair of k702s 2 days ago and received them today! Pro Audio on ebay is an excellent seller! The 702 right out of the box with my indeed hybrid (jan sylvania 7308 rolled) i think will keep me happy for a long time. For those wondering about a cheap amp for the k70x sets, the indeed hybrid imo thus far a decent place to start. Plenty of power and the warm flavor really helps the k70x harsh initial sq some people complain about. Out of the box i'm really happy with the sq and cant wait to get em burnt in. Granted i haven't heard the 70x on anything better than this amp but i have exceeded my budget and am going to remain ignorantly in bliss
k701smile.gif
anyone else with experience on these cans and the indeed hybrid or other synergetic matches feel free to chime in. There might be a bit of new toy syndrome here so take with a grain of salt. I will report in a few weeks after burn in of 300 hrs with a comparison, or lack there of, to the other cans i have owned...(see profile gear list).

Also, im selling my K 240S's since i'm happy with the 702's. Asking $85 shipped ConUS for a mint pair! roughly 150 hours on them. im including everything that comes in the box from the factory plus a leather head band i made if you want it(not currently on them). PM or email if interested or if enough interest i'll put up picts of everything. Happy listening everyone !

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Indeed!

Accepting consequences of our actions is paramount to happiness in this hobby. If you do due diligence, you will be rewarded with sound quality.

Good job.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Oh one more thing, whoever started the notion that K70x cans dont have bass is seriously wrong. even with the cheap indeed hybrid the bass doesnt slam you but it really envelopes the sq with just the right feel. the sq is really like listening to speakers. the bass doesnt slam like a sub, its there when the music presents it. I used to be a basshead... former bassheads gone refined feel confident when buying these cans!

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh one more thing, whoever started the notion that K70x cans dont have bass is seriously wrong. even with the cheap indeed hybrid the bass doesnt slam you but it really envelopes the sq with just the right feel. the sq is really like listening to speakers. the bass doesnt slam like a sub, its there when the music presents it. I used to be a basshead... former bassheads gone refined feel confident when buying these cans!

I also have never understood the "no bass" critiques of the K-702. All they need is a lot of burn-in and a potent hybrid amp for excellent reproduction.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 15
biggrin.gif
cant believe how much these cans are changing for the better after burn time in the drawer strapped on a sweatshirt! i'll hold my thoughts till the 300 hr mark.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 15
past the 300 hour mark now
k701smile.gif
changes in the last 100 hours have been decreasing. what changes are occurring are small refinements in highs and mids. I feel the 702's greatest strength is the ability it has to reproduce detail and be accurate smoothly. Yes bass could be more weighted but i think it would take away from the rest of the reproduction. There are a few songs in my arsenal that the 702s arent awesome with. Some people have alluded to their lack of rockability or the ability to really get into the song, but from what ive listened to it seems to be just because the recording wasnt perfect. They definatly arent too pleseant to listen to when jacked directly into my pod or computer... despite them not being pleasing they still reproduce most of the detail with the loss of involvment, i would describe it as aggressive. for whatever it is worth this just being another opinion of the 70x, i hope my lack of experience with audio equipment compared to some of you guys didnt make this too hard to agree with. These are keepers for sure
k701smile.gif
happy listening everyone

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambosenior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have never understood the "no bass" critiques of the K-702. All they need is a lot of burn-in and a potent hybrid amp for excellent reproduction.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Co-sign. I also don't understand the "harshness" tag. I think much has to do with associated equipment and source material. My 702's exhibited neither characteristic run through the Consonance Cyber-20 or CI VHP1/VAC1 when fed from my Resolution Audio Quantum DAC via Audible Illusions Modulus3A in either Tape-Out or Source modes. Just great sounding right out of the box. Of course, well recorded material sounds swell and crappy recordings sound, well, like crap. As it should be.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 15
I think the harshness comment usually comes from people who are very sensitive to the upper mid peak that the K701 is known to have. I've personally experienced as well that with a bad matching amp or certain recordings, the upper mids peak can indeed sound harsh and piercing. But with nice synergy you don't notice it as much I find and helps with the overall resolution the K701 is known to give.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 15
mmayer67 thanks for the post. I've got a Bravo (like the Indeed) and planed to buy the K702s in a couple weeks. I am glad to hear the the combo will sound decent. I've got an AMB M3 about 90% built and will be using that too.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CPL593H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmayer67 thanks for the post. I've got a Bravo (like the Indeed) and planed to buy the K702s in a couple weeks. I am glad to hear the the combo will sound decent. I've got an AMB M3 about 90% built and will be using that too.

Nice! that should work well with the 702s as i am really happy with my indeed. you might want to try and source a JAN Sylvania 7308 tube for your Bravo. I have that tube in myn and it really was a big improvement over the tube that came with the indeed. this topic has also been discussed in another thread about the indeed type hybrid, the 7308 seemed to be the one to have and i would definitely agree. just make sure to give your 702s time to burn in past 300 hours before you decide to part with them if they arent what you expected. I used fm radio turned just a hair above normal listening volume for burn in and ran them as much as i could while they werent on my head, sometimes 24 hours straight. good luck if you go with the 702s
biggrin.gif

Frank... im not sure but i think the bravo is the same circuit as the indeed just a few different parts..
confused.gif
not sure which is better but the indeed does sound great for its pricepoint!

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the harshness comment usually comes from people who are very sensitive to the upper mid peak that the K701 is known to have. I've personally experienced as well that with a bad matching amp or certain recordings, the upper mids peak can indeed sound harsh and piercing. But with nice synergy you don't notice it as much I find and helps with the overall resolution the K701 is known to give.

*raises hand* This is my problem with them. I would EQ them if it weren't the greater of the two evils. I often wonder, though, how many hours are on the ones that have been frequency response plotted at places such as Headroom. I found the issue lessened as they burned in, so perhaps a reduction in the peak would actually be visible if a well burned in pair were re-tested? I can't help but wonder if anybody has ever actually checked this.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! that should work well with the 702s as i am really happy with my indeed. you might want to try and source a JAN Sylvania 7308 tube for your Bravo. I have that tube in myn and it really was a big improvement over the tube that came with the indeed. this topic has also been discussed in another thread about the indeed type hybrid, the 7308 seemed to be the one to have and i would definitely agree. just make sure to give your 702s time to burn in past 300 hours before you decide to part with them if they arent what you expected. I used fm radio turned just a hair above normal listening volume for burn in and ran them as much as i could while they werent on my head, sometimes 24 hours straight. good luck if you go with the 702s
biggrin.gif

Frank... im not sure but i think the bravo is the same circuit as the indeed just a few different parts..
confused.gif
not sure which is better but the indeed does sound great for its pricepoint!

You are right the Sylvania 7308 is a huge improvement over the stock 6N11. I've tried these tubes in the Bravo and they are ranked starting at the top with my favorite. They are all good, the top three are outstanding and the Sylvania is close. This is not a review just a quick ranking based mainly on detail. They are have good bass. I used Sennheiser 448's.

Seimens 7308 (RCA branded) gold pin West Germany
Phillips Miniwatt ECC88 (1972) Holland A-frame getter
Mullard ECC88 (1960s) Great Britain
JAN Sylvania 7308 (1976) US (this would be the "consumer reports" best buy)

I ended up using the Phillips Miniwatt as the daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back