AKG K-701 Uncomfortable head strap!!
Oct 11, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 49
Patience... With time and extended use that bump softens up. Mind are comfortable now. Or did my head develop a compensatory trough at that point? LOL!

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 49
they soften up...don't require any oil or surgery.

just time.

ive got 2 pairs of them and both were uncomfortable to start but feel great now...they form to the body like a good pair of jeans or underwear.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by knickedicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post on this forum.

Now I love them =)

Welcome to the club!
biggrin.gif
So I guess 8 bumps vs. 7 really doesn't make that much difference comfort wise? Yours look better than mine since the K702's are entirely black so the post-surgery look doesn't stand out as much. But of course, comfort > aesthetics any day!

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they soften up...don't require any oil or surgery.

just time.

ive got 2 pairs of them and both were uncomfortable to start but feel great now...they form to the body like a good pair of jeans or underwear.

The bumps are not made of a material that will soften over time, once you cut it up and see the actual fabric padding (no, it's not leather under there) you'd know what I mean... but I guess you'll never do that.
tongue.gif
It's most likely that you either got used to the bumps or the elastics on the headband loosened enough for you. Again, for someone like me who has a bigger than average, shaved, and ovalish head, it doesn't take much for a headband design like that to be unbearable so it probably wouldn't have mattered how much softer the material would get... it'd still be annoying even if it was soft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot imagine cutting up a pair of headphones that cost as much as these did (and I got them at a great discount) even if I never planned to sell them.

Each his own I guess. But it'd be a shame if I ditched the K701's based on their comfort because I really like their SQ a lot. If those bumps were not removable and I had really no way around it, I'd probably have ended up selling it since that's how horrible the comfort was for me. It was like sitting on a chair with a big bump in the middle of the back. It's a sound equipment where sound/comfort > aesthetics, that's how I see it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #38 of 49
for my shaved head, it wasn't the bumps that were the issue per se, but rather the stiffness of the headband. anybody who has slapped a pair of K501/K601 on their noggin will know what i'm talking about. mink oil? the K271mkii are uber-comfortable as well.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club!
biggrin.gif
So I guess 8 bumps vs. 7 really doesn't make that much difference comfort wise? Yours look better than mine since the K702's are entirely black so the post-surgery look doesn't stand out as much. But of course, comfort > aesthetics any day!

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

I haven't had any opportunity to test k701 with seven bumps but my scalp seems to be one of the worlds most sensitive. I read that most of the ones with problem gets one "pit" on their scalp but I get like four deep ones.. feels like waves... high waves, scary haha!

In Sweden, it's almost impossible to sell headphones. Tried to sell my HD650 (boring headphone compared with k701/k702) for lower then half retail price but no one wants them. So I guess I won't regret this
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #40 of 49
As I said before, time has taken its toll on the bumps and they are no longer uncomfortable.

Oh boy! The K701 likes burn-in....

They still keep changing sound wise too
k701smile.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said before, time has taken its toll on the bumps and they are no longer uncomfortable.

Oh boy! The K701 likes burn-in....

They still keep changing sound wise too
k701smile.gif

Three months of use, and they did not become any softer.. perhaps it's a difference in material between k701 and k702

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #42 of 49
or perhaps it was just your head got softer
tongue_smile.gif

really though.... my 701s are very comfortable now. all fabric changes over time.

very glad you are enjoying the fit now at any rate.

they are great headphones.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or perhaps it was just your head got softer
tongue_smile.gif

really though.... my 701s are very comfortable now. all fabric changes over time.

very glad you are enjoying the fit now at any rate.

they are great headphones.

They are very nice phones.... the only flaws are a fractionally lean mid-range and a slight recession of harmonics of strings and woodwinds... does a recable bring out those harmonics? Or a tube amp? or both?

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #45 of 49
Another easy mod from me..

Take a hammer and smash that nasty bumps for good...

It works in means of comfort and you just don't rip the headband...

So it makes it a perfect mod in my book

Users who are viewing this thread

Back