AKG K 701 owner's thread
Sep 22, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #361 of 370
it takes a while to get used to the presentation of the AKG K701s, but once you are used to it, you can never go back to any other can. although you can go to speakers, since there are some speakers that sound very similar to the K701s.[/QUOTE]

My 701's are only 2 weeks old but they are so similar to my Watt/Puppy's that it I fully relate to your speaker - like reference.
They differ from my Watt's in that they have an even more electrostatic (in a good way) presentation without sacrificing bass and the "slam" factor.

Truly an extraordinary can.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #362 of 370
I love this thread.

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #363 of 370
Just got my 701's today. 2 days from Broklyn NY to Calgary Canada, thanks UPS. Compared to my Sennheiser 515's, these things are unbelievable. Now all I have to do is get around to building a B22 so I can fully appreciate them.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #364 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by bburl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my 701's today. 2 days from Broklyn NY to Calgary Canada, thanks UPS. Compared to my Sennheiser 515's, these things are unbelievable. Now all I have to do is get around to building a B22 so I can fully appreciate them.

compared to most other cans, these things are unbelievable. congrats!

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #365 of 370
This is an ancient thread but I have had my k701 (Austrian edition) for many years and have put thousands of hours on them. They never cease to amaze me with their almost forensic abilities to reveal what is on the recording you are playing. Sure the plastic guides are completely ripped on both sides and the headphone does not stay true to my head but they do stay mostly secure on my head. But time and time again I
go back to them to hear what is really going on in the recording. One thing though I did trip on the cord and the original plug went bad. I replaced the stock plug with a furutech 1./4 inch plug. Wow what a difference that made .The new plug changed the sound very much for the better. There is more body to the sound now and if you thought the k701s reproduced sound stage you need to hear them after you change the plug. They are so much more palpable now. I have Lcd2 v2s  with a expensive cord upgrade which are nice but when I really want to hear what a recording sounds like I always go back to my venerable k701s they really are of reference quality.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #366 of 370
I was browsing the reviews of the k 701 and came across one that claimed their bose headphone was superior . Wow I think that person really needs to invest in a hearing aid .The crap that bose puts out is an affront to high fidelity . The people who dislike the 701 are most likely using underpowered amplifiers .I have heard a lot of amps that just do not have the necessary horsepower to make the 701 sing . The 701 is a hungry headphone and is not easily driven . But if driven properly can be  amazingly resolute headphone .

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #367 of 370
I am sending mine out to get repaired by Headroom this week. About three years ago now, the wiring in the rightside cup came undone which I believe is a common issue. I can't wait until I can compare them to my Q701 and K550 that I purchased after the K701 went bad, as well as the K401 that I should be receiving in the mail on Wednesday. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #368 of 370
I've had a pair of AKG K701s for a very long time, in my case modified with Audio Note silver speaker cable going into a 1/4" gold-plated Furutech TRS connector. I've tried them with many amps and didn't feel like they were reaching their full potential even though they would play. Finally, I got a Cavalli Liquid Gold, and that made all the difference. The K701s seem to need a lot of high-current power, or "torque", to drive the drivers properly. Now they have a very neutral bass and no high-frequency distortion, and have more "air" around the music than the Abyss AB-1266s that I had for a while, but had to sell to pay some medical expenses. So plugging them directly into an iPhone, without any criticism intended, will likely only reveal 1/10th of their true potential. I've even stopped looking for a used pair of the AKG-K1000s, although I have been experimenting a bit with electrostatics.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #369 of 370
Hello Andy,
I´m glad you mentioned your modified K701s.I´ve read about them(PFO,EmpiricalAudiphile)and they were the main factor behind my decision to get my old K701´s recabled.Instead of the(far more costly)AN
loudspeaker cable my pair features the Forza Audio Work Noir Mk2 copper cable(5ft),which is very flexible and quite handsome as well.FAW has executed the recabling to a very high functional and esthetic standard.The big Furutech plug is identical to yours,as well as the double entry concept.I´m very satisfied with the sound and so I have to thank you for the inspiration!
Best regards
Juraj

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back