AKG K 701 amp
Aug 11, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 79
I was thinking about buying a Darkvoice 332 because I heard that it is a good combination but I was just curious if AKG would recommend anything.
So I think I'll order the Darkvoice now.

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 79
My Graham Slee Solo works very nicely with them.

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 79
My Heed and 701 have been together since both were introduced and I have never considered changing either. I cannot say that for all of the other changes in my audio gear I have made!

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 79
I'm considering RSA HR-2 or XP-7 for my K 701. I'm a n00b so I think I would stick to solid state amps (less maintenance). Which one is more suitable for K 701?

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 79
I run the K701 w/the Darkvoice 336i and the Bada PH-12. Both amps pair very well with the K701, but IMHO the Bada gets a lot more out of the AKG. Therefore, I heartily endorse the Bada PH-12. : )

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 79
332 would be an excellent choice. Damn good amp for AKG and Beyer.

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 79
I love the sound of my HeadAmp GS-1 with the AKG701s. I'm feeding it with the output from a Benchmark DAC1-USB, and the combination is exquisite (to my ears, at least). Opinions on amps do vary, as expected, and I've seen folks on this forum who do not share my opinion about the GS-1 -- most comments being that the GS-1 may be too dry and "transparent" for the 701s, which some say need to be "warmed up" a bit. I don't share that opinion. I do feel that the 701s are somewhat fussy with regard to amp synergy, and though my experience is limited, I have also used the 701s with the DAC1-USB's own headamp as well as a HeadRoom "Maxed-out" Desktop, neither of which sound nearly as good as the GS-1.

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 79
This is the second time that I buy the K701. First time I used the HR-2 and after 300 hrs I was not convinced, so I returned them to the store. IMO the HR-2 is very special with cans like HD595, SR225 or DT990; But not with the K701.
Second time: I was convinced since I plugged them to the amplifier, the headphones sang; the bass and the dynamics that I thought the HP lack are present and very enjoyable. This time I’m using the SP Extreme with an ECC88 as driver and a pair of 5998’s as output tubes. Based on my experience I can only conclude that the amplifier is crucial if you want the K701 to sing.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 79
Does anyone know if it is hard to change the 332's tubes?
I heard there are tubes far better than the stock tubes and also tubes that offer different sounds so I think a tube amp is good for me because I'm a noob (this is going to be my first "real" pair of headphones+amp) and I have yet to find "my" specific sound.
I tested the AKG's and I think they are transparent, IMO all the frequencies are equal (I think you head-fiers call this a flat EQ?) and I like the sound because they are still very powerful sounding when it comes to rock etc.
I think this is a good pair of headphones for the beginning to experiment a bit with tubes and other equipment (DAC's etc).

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if it is hard to change the 332's tubes? (DAC's etc).

Super easy. Turn off your amp. Let any residual power drain and the tubes cool. Then toss on some latex gloves or whatever gloves you want and pull/jiggle those suckers out and put in a new one. You don't actually need gloves, but it improves tube life if you avoid getting the oils on your hand on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back