AKG K 450
Nov 13, 2011 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kruger

New Head-Fier
Hi Internet.

This is my very first post here so be nice.

I probably should've browsed this forum before purchasing my set of AKG K 450's.

I know they are not the greatest headphones available but I paid £53.95($86) and that includes shipping. For that price range I feel there really aren't that many good portable headphone rivals, eh? Have I made an horrible, catastrophic mistake?

I bought it mainly for to use it with my iPod Classic when in home or on a plane/train etc. My previous set were the regular Apple ones that came with the iPod so I guess at least you can't go worse than that.

However, if you feel I should reconsider my choice, feel free to recommend pretty much anything(as long as it's under £70($100). I've checked online a few other models but they felt either too pricey or too 'big'(Shure SRH440 comes in mind).

To make it a tad bit easier for you here's my music preferences. From Alice Cooper, RHCP, The Beatles(just bought the Mono box) to Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, CRR..so basically I'm listening to pretty much anything.

Hopefully some of you experts can help a newbie out! Cheers.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hi Internet.

This is my very first post here so be nice.

I probably should've browsed this forum before purchasing my set of AKG K 450's.

I know they are not the greatest headphones available but I paid £53.95($86) and that includes shipping. For that price range I feel there really aren't that many good portable headphone rivals, eh? Have I made an horrible, catastrophic mistake?

I bought it mainly for to use it with my iPod Classic when in home or on a plane/train etc. My previous set were the regular Apple ones that came with the iPod so I guess at least you can't go worse than that.

However, if you feel I should reconsider my choice, feel free to recommend pretty much anything(as long as it's under £70($100). I've checked online a few other models but they felt either too pricey or too 'big'(Shure SRH440 comes in mind).

To make it a tad bit easier for you here's my music preferences. From Alice Cooper, RHCP, The Beatles(just bought the Mono box) to Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, CRR..so basically I'm listening to pretty much anything.

Hopefully some of you experts can help a newbie out! Cheers.

I bought a pair of them recently but returned them as I felt I had no need for them. I got them from Amazon UK for about £43 though so if you're in the UK then try to get it off Amazon as you save almost 20% (£10).

To me, they were very lightweight and portable but I'm not too much of a fan of on ears, I don't feel they're as comfortable as IEMs or as over ears. I've heard that the SQ of the AKG K450 is pretty good after some burn in but is quite noticeably muddy at the beginning. I didn't notice that these were as muddy as people made it out to be but I didn't have a chance to burn them in. Of course they were no were clear as my SRH440s which I had. I'd say that the AKG K450 has more of a warmer/darker sound signature in that it will probably have more emphasis on the low range compared with Shure SRH440s with the classic Shure sound signature on the mid range.

Unfortunately due to my limited testing with the AKG K450 and non analytical listening of the SRH440s, I can't say much more as I already worry I'm giving the wrong information!

I do want to add that the AKG K450 seem to have good reviews on isolation, but to me they isolate worse than my SRH550DJs and my RE0s. Perhaps people meant it had good isolation compared with other on ears.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for you reply(though it didn't really help me that much! :D). I actually bought them from Amazon UK for that price. Shure SRH440's would be about £77($122) delivered and I know how good they are but I've read quite a few complaints about how uncomfortable they get after a few hours of listening and they're really not that portable.

£50-80 might sound cheap but for a student it's a lot of money and naturally I want to have cans that'll last longer than a few months.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for you reply(though it didn't really help me that much! :D). I actually bought them from Amazon UK for that price. Shure SRH440's would be about £77($122) delivered and I know how good they are but I've read quite a few complaints about how uncomfortable they get after a few hours of listening and they're really not that portable.

£50-80 might sound cheap but for a student it's a lot of money and naturally I want to have cans that'll last longer than a few months.

I'm also a student in the UK! Ah you're right, I only bought mine last week and it was £43, I returned them only a few days ago! I'm amazed the price changed that much! I think for each person it varies on what they like. Personally I prefer over ears and IEMs over on ears as I say. The SRH550DJ was meant to be over ear but it was rather uncomfortable for me because it seemed more on ear to me as they were quite "flat cushioned". You may want to try them though, I can say they have better SQ with more detail and more isolation. I bought them at the same time as the K450 (last sunday) and they were £65. Omg, now they're £55! This is an amazing price IMO! If I were you I'd cancel the K450 and get the SRH550DJs. But of course this depends on your requirements.

The cable on the K450 seemed pretty weak IMO, however it's detachable so you could mod it easily I feel and perhaps add some protection on it. The SRH550DJs on the other hand do not have detachable cables.

The SRH750DJs were rated very highly on here but they weren't the most comfortable and the build quality wasn't the best. The SQ was rated very highly though along with the ATH-M50 and some other cans. I personally think the SRH550DJs are very good but I haven't tried the SRH750DJs.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, received my copy of K450's today. I was quite positively surprised how small they are. I've been listening to some music now for about an hour or so and I'm left with mixed feelings. They sound good, nothing too special(but then again, can you expect that from portable headphones in this price range?). My biggest gripe is with the left can as I can't seem to be able to fit it right over my ear. I can hardly notice the right side but my left ear is starting to really hurt. Anyone else experienced this?

What kind of an amp would you recommend with iPod Classic 120GB and K450's?

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 9
I have my K450 for around 3 months now, using them mainly at work, and I have mixed feelings about them.

Overall I am pleased with the sound, but there is no sound stage at all. The sound is too "focused".  Must agree about the muddy mids and treble, I gotta tune the EQ to surpass this.

They are very confortable, and I have no problem using them for hours long. A bit sweaty, nothing special, I'm used to have a quick clean of the pads everytime I take them off.

Must agree about the cable, too thin and fragile :frowning2: not sure that it can be replaced easily, because of the way it attaches to the headphone.

The way they fold in the supplied case is nice.

They are my first "hi-fi wannabe" gear, I'm using them mainly with my Samsung Galaxy S which has a pretty decent Wolfson DAC, but I can't stop thinking about future upgrades :)

Cheers,

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had mine a week and love them. I also own the ATH ES7's and ME HT21's and the 450's sound better than both to me. I actually like the HT21's but the bass drivers are small and I hear clipping on deep bass. I listen to mostly film scores at work and they are not as full sounding as the ES7's or the 450's. I use an IPOD Classic 160 with lossless files and Cmoy amp.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the Q460s and I think these are rebadged K450s. I hope not cause these were the worst headphones I ever bought. As someone else mentioned theres no soundstage. You just get blitzed with mids and lows with no spatial separation the highs are just barely there and you have to push them hard and loud to bring the highs to some degree of balance. For a bit more the just as small ultra portable Sennheiser PX210BT will crush it and all without a wire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back