AKG K 450 Problem
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mates1500

New Head-Fier
Hey there

I have bought AKG K 450 headphones like 4 months ago. After the burn-in period, they sound really great. The headphones themselves are ok.
However, after 4 months, the longer cable broke. I haven't been doing anything intentional to break it, just having my iPod in the pocket and walking with it outside most of the time using it. The cable is broken at the end that you plug into the music player. If I hold it at a certain angle, it works normally. When I move it only by like 1 degree, the left headphone stops working. Impossible to hold that position in hand for more than a few seconds, not even talking about having the player in pocket. The shorter cable works fine, but it's useless for me, since It can't even reach my pocket.
So I wrote an e-mail to the local distributor, sent a scan of warranty card, etc. Everything went fine. They sent me a new cable that I got today. I opened it up and by checking the flexibility of the cable, it seems someone has been already using it, but I can't really tell, if that's true (Flexibility of the cable ends compared to the shorter cable I have used only like once or twice was really different). I've connected it to my iPod, it seemed to work well.
So I took it outside, and literally, the EXACTLY THE SAME THING HAPPENED AFTER LIKE 10 MINUTES. With the new cable, I'm not kidding. The left headphone stopped working with the cable plugged in. The shorter cable still works well - plays into both ears. I'm not sure, why it happened, maybe the cable has been really used before, or I'm just stupid or I don't know. Both of these longer cables don't work into the left headphone unless I hold the end of it at the certain angle.
The older cable lasted 4 months, the new one stopped working after 10 minutes? Impossibru. I wore only 2 types of pants while using the cable, the same pants as I used with the old one. I wear more like loose clothes, than tight clothes, so it's surely not a tight pocket's fault, or something like that if you thought about it.

So the questions are
  1. What the ****** is happening with those cables?
  2. What should I do next? Ask the distributor for another cable, or just return the headphones for my money and get the same model again? Or return it anyway and get some other headphones? I don't really know.

I really like the sound of these AKGs, even though they are kinda bass heavy, they just sound great. But the damn cables. What am I supposed to do? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back