AKG K-240 MKII vs. Sennheiser HD 555
May 26, 2010 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

non-entity

Head-Fier
Hey there! I feel kind of bad about asking this question because you guys probably hate it when people around here ask such questions, but in all honesty I have no idea what to do. Is buying Sennheiser HD 555 headphones silly if you already have AKG K-240 cans? All the local shops in my area have a lot going on inside which makes it impossible to test open cans, so I can't look (well, hear :p) for myself ...

I'm kind of under the impression that the Sennheiser might be a little better, but it's not a completely different ball game. Am I right about this? And thus, should I save up a little more and buy something "more serious"?

Side note: I'm looking for open headphones which are very comfortable (long listening sessions), don't color the sound too much and also they shouldn't be too picky about amplification (CMoy does the job here).

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
regards,
r

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 6
I had the AKG 240 Studios for one week before returning them.   I also have the Sennheiser HD555 with the 595 mod performed.  To me, the Sennheiser headphones are quite a bit more comfortable and have a bit better bass.  The AKGs that I had featured pleather ear cushions instead of the velour like the Sennheiser.  The AKG made my ears get quite warm.  However, I believe the AKG K240 MKII features 2 different cables as wells as a pair of velour ear covers.  They might be quite a bit more comfortable than the plain studio model.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Correct.  To me, the 240 Studios were not too comfortable.  Then again, that was with the vinyl ear pads.  Had I utilized the velour pads, the comfort level could have been a bit better.  As far as the sound goes, I like the sound of the Sennheiser 555s better.  The Sennheisers just do a better job with the jazz and blues that I listen to.  The AKGs were just so-so.  Then again, I'm more of a Grado person (actually modified Grados) are my preference.  I mainly use the Sennheiser to listen to at night as I'm going to sleep as it fits more comfortably while laying down as opposed to my Grados.

The Sennheiser HD555 --> 595 mod is basically described in detail on a YouTube video.  Sennheiser installed some rectangular foam pads on the screen section of the ear cups to change the sound a bit.  Many people have taken the 10-15 minutes of time to remove these foam pads.  Their headphone sound has changed slightly - some have recognized better bass, while others have noted a more "airy" sound to their headphones.

With my comments, I'm not trying to bash AKG.  If I had a spare $200 right now, I'd buy a used pair of 701s just to see how they sound and perform.  

Quote:
you returned the 240s because of the lack of comfort?

would you rate the 240 Sound compared to HD555?

Also what is 595 mod?

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
thanks for that wjd,

I am so grateful for sharing with me your experiences.

I have been recommended twice now the FA-003 as an alternative to the K240s. The FA-003 reviews (here on head-fi) are very compelling. Unfortunately they are not in stock anywhere at present (including UK).

I am learning sooo much in the meantime.

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back