AKG K-1000 - I LIKE IT!!!
Mar 5, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 36
Well ~~~All those piano sonatas-I call it bedtime music- really comes alive w/ k1000 and I never get drowsy again since I got my self one. Yeah~~~piano sound really shines on k1000...it's definately never let go item for me alright...
If it 's not for the sound, I can still imagine the last summer w/ HD600 and all those grumbles when I brush-washing the pad later on....Gee..^^
By the way...which type of Amp, youguys think, is good matching for the k1000????.....Tube?...TR?......high speed Amp w/ Buffer output???....

cheers
clamchowder

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
actually, I like the idea of a darker source (marantz cdp) and the bright K1000. now you may want to try a passive preamp between the two (unless the Marantz has line out volume controls). i just find that a pre-amp puts walls up around the sound. my onkyo dvd is directly connected to my parasound amp - sans pre-amp. i'll be using the rear volume controls. someday i hope to get a Muse 2 DAC for it.

The Marantz does have a volume, but even at the minimum setting, it still has output that's too loud for some recordings. The volume control is fine with the headphone jack output, but not for the rca outs. I bought this unit specifically because I've found too many headphones to be a bit on the bright side. This unit definitely tames the brightness. The superphon is a decent preamp, but I'm in agreement- I may try out a Creek OBH-10 or pick up a stepped attenuator so I can control the volume without adding a true preamp.

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Probably because you have not yet seen yourself wearing them.

The first time my wife saw me wearing these, she asked "are you kidding me?" But heck, I'd strap a 2X4 to the back of my head if it sounds good!

Quote:

Originally posted by Kwkarth
Welcome to the club!

Thanks! But it looks like we have a newer member- MoLtoSoLo- Welcome Mo!

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 36
Hmm just wondering.. if you liked the K1000's so much - why are they for sale?
eek.gif

-dd3mon

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
eek.gif

-dd3mon

I ended up with two pairs within three days- I bought one pair, then got a great deal on one bundled with a Norh, Stefan cable, and another set of k-1000's. Defintely wouldn't let both pairs go!

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
eek.gif

-dd3mon

I think he said it's his second pair.

drewski, yes, welcome to the K-1000 club. I am actually using the same combo as you (K-1000, nOrh SE-9, Stefan cable) except that I am using a different CD player (Philips 963SA). My results, while similar, are a bit different than yours. I've found the combination detailed and a little forward, but not overly bright. Spaciousness is amazing on these phones--sounds seem to come from everywhere.

I also think the Stefan Arts cable is an improvement over the stock cable in one major area--the sound from top to bottom becomes more cohesive. Listening to the stock cable I felt that the top and bottom ends were somehow disconnected from the midrange. That problem has been cleared up with the Equinox.

Overall, I love the K-1000s. The only issue that I have, and has been mentioned before, is that they require a quiet listening space to shine. You cannot use them in a noisy enviornment. Otherwise, great choice.

One more thing--I used to have a Superphon Revelation Basic preamp, too. Great sound, glad you like it. I wish they were still around.

Mar 5, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 36
Clamchowder, Quote:

which type of Amp, do you guys think, is a good match for the k1000????

Whole threads have been dedicated that very same question. You'll have to do a lot of research, or just go out on a limb and buy the RKV or nOrh. I use a parasound HCA-1000 THX amp myself. And I used to use a Crown D60 amp. you'll have to go to a few meets and listen to a few amps before you can decide. (see the members area for the Washington and Calif meets for some interesting opinions).

Mar 5, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #22 of 36
drewski,

Awesome can selection. Many here think they're the best set of dynamic cans out there. I listened to a pair briefly, but didn't like them that much. I guess I'll have to give them a second chance.

Make sure you post some thoughts on the differences with the Stefan AudioArt cable in the pair coming versus your stock cable. It's interesting to see how they stack up against the stock cable.

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:20 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Make sure you post some thoughts on the differences with the Stefan AudioArt cable in the pair coming versus your stock cable. It's interesting to see how they stack up against the stock cable.

Doug,

In my experience, the Equinox cable tames some of the brightness that comes with using the standard cable. Plus, it gives the overall sound a greater coherence, unlike the stock cable which doesn't seem to integrate well the highs, mids, and bass. The overall sound seems smoother, while retaining the amazing spaciousness.

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Clamchowder, Whole threads have been dedicated that very same question. You'll have to do a lot of research, or just go out on a limb and buy the RKV or nOrh. I use a parasound HCA-1000 THX amp myself. And I used to use a Crown D60 amp. you'll have to go to a few meets and listen to a few amps before you can decide. (see the members area for the Washington and Calif meets for some interesting opinions).

Sorry!!! wallijonn~~~
smily_headphones1.gif

I was just checking any changes since then...........
biggrin.gif

And mostly wanna see the Pic.s of those macho-Amps~~~
biggrin.gif

Yes~~~I'll check out the meeting info. thread~~~to see if I can bump!!!

cheers
clamchowder

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

I also think the Stefan Arts cable is an improvement over the stock cable in one major area--the sound from top to bottom becomes more cohesive. Listening to the stock cable I felt that the top and bottom ends were somehow disconnected from the midrange. That problem has been cleared up with the Equinox.

I would agree with you on this. I just found that the highs are rolled off a bit with the Equinox. It also added a little more bass in my opinion. Works out perfect with my SS amp, but I thought a little too much with the combination of Marantz cd player and the Norh. Even with the stock cable, the slight brightness of the K-1000's didn't bother me, but the Equinox cable smoothed it out completely when using my N.E.W. amp.

Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
One more thing--I used to have a Superphon Revelation Basic preamp, too. Great sound, glad you like it. I wish they were still around.

This has been my standby preamp for the past 15 years. It's never my main preamp, but it always seems to be in use with one of my systems at one time or other- either as a phono stage or some sort of backup preamp like with my current headphone rig. All of Stan Warren's preamps are decent sounding, and good value as well. I talked to Stan about a year ago and tried to have him upgrade this unit, but he wouldn't because he said all he could do was upgrade about 10 caps to blackgates. That must say something about the original design!

Thanks for the great feedback!

Mar 5, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
drewski,

Awesome can selection. Many here think they're the best set of dynamic cans out there. I listened to a pair briefly, but didn't like them that much. I guess I'll have to give them a second chance.

Doug,

From your review of the RKV & CD6000, I would have thought that you would have liked them, especially paired with the Equinox cable. These cans are very revealing and really highlight weaknesses of equipment- I first tried to use some Transparent Musiclink Plus interconnects- fairly neutral but they tend to roll the highs off as well... the k-1000's told me right away that they didn't like these! So I had to use my V.D. Audition cables from my home theatre system. Even my faithful Superphon preamp didn't fare as well as I would have liked with these cans- I'm now thinking of getting a pair of passive volume controls and bypassing a preamp.

Now that I've temporarily decided which amp to use for the k-1000's, I've had some time to do A/B testing between the stock and Stefan cable. The more I listen to the Stefan cable, the more I like it- my findings were very similar to FCJ's- I just felt that they rolled off the highs a little too much when paired with certain equipment. It adds warmth without sacrificing much in terms of imaging and soundstage (most say that it doesn't sacrifice anything and actually improves it). Bass control is excellent and the mids and highs are smoothed out substantially over the stock cable. The differences are not as apparent as the Equinox for the HD600's, but IMHO, there's just not as much that needs to be improved on with the k-1000's.

I may have more to add in the near future because I'm detecting that the Stefan cable is changing in sound and am wondering if these are even broken in yet. I know the old owner said he didn't use much at all, but I figured everyone says that when they're selling stuff!
redface.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
but IMHO, there's just not as much that needs to be improved on with the k-1000's.

drewski, I couldn't have said it better if I tried. . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
I may have more to add in the near future because I'm detecting that the Stefan cable is changing in sound and am wondering if these are even broken in yet. I know the old owner said he didn't use much at all, but I figured everyone says that when they're selling stuff!
redface.gif

The Equinox cable needs a very long burn in. I wonder if their apparant lack of burn in hurt them with your nOrh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back