AKG? - help Identify the RARE MYSTERY HEADPHONE
Aug 18, 2012 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings!

Today I have a treat for vintage AKG fans. 
I have a headphone which looks almost identical to a K140 in almost every way, until you notice a few details... firstly they're A LOT fatter....

Here are the photos (click to enlarge)

3 mono plugs

Intricate wiring

Old XLR cable

LEFT CAN Inisde - LOTS OF ELECTRONICS!!!

Unmistakably an AKG driver - the sound signature is very similar to my K141 but more 'boxy/closed' due to the design

RIGHT CAN - A volume control knob? this didn't do anything when I turned it (I connected 3 pins from the XLR to a standard stereo cable terminated with a standard stereo plug, so it may do something yet, but I don't have the equipment for it.

LEFT CAN - A button!?

RIGHT CAN - is that an INFRA-RED receiver????!!

RIGHT CAN - MOAARR electronics and a the boxy thing on the left has a screw turn control - don't know what that does, maybe volume control limiter?

So these are SUPER interesting headphones but there are several problems. 
Firstly I have no idea what their product number is, as the aluminium plate on the side was missing, and the single one remaining was ENTIRELY BLANK - no printed AKG logo. (very mysterious).
Also looking at all these features I'm led to believe they were designed for some sort of shop or studio purpose? 

If anyone knows anything about it, let's hear it:
Product code, Purpose, Brand, Value? ... anything.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Try this:

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,15,nodeid,15,_language,EN,country,EN.html

I found it pretty quick.
It's the K140 WL (wireless) - so normally this is paired with a wireless infra red machine. 

I don't think there are many of these around as I've never seen one before on the internet, and still can't find anything about it other than the AKG website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back