AKG branded SAC amp for K1000.. it gets hot don't it!!!
Dec 15, 2005 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jimbobuk

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my AKG branded SAC amp along with my 2nd pair of K1000s, so i can actually drive 2 at the same time.

Its been warming up for about an hour or so now, and dammit if it hasn't gotten very very hot.. its almost getting to the point where you dont want to keep your hands on it for too long.

Is this normal.. I know its class A, and also that its got serious heatsinks built in, just wanted to check.

Sounds pretty muscular and loud so far, not done any real testing with my older amp.. to be honest i'm getting hung up on possible audible differences between the two K1000s at the moment.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Yep, it's normal. Note that the SAC amp may have one channel connected out-of-phase (one story I heard, but cannot confirm, is that apparently one production run of K-1000's was wired incorrectly, and the amp compensated for this). In any event, if one of the K-1000's hooked to the amp sounds really strange, you'll have to correct the phase on one of the jacks of the amp.

If you think it's hot now, give it a couple more hours
tongue.gif
Note also that it's going to stay warm when you turn the power off. That shuts down the outputs, but does not shut down power to the circuitry, which needs to stay warmed up to be ready for you to use without having to wait a couple of hours each time you want to listen.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 9
I fear I wont be able to leave it on at the moment.. finding space for it is going to be an issue for the near future... good to have tho, it looks mean and touch it when its on and it IS mean.

I dunno about stereo wiring, i think the padding being warn thin on the newly received k1000 makes a difference with positioning, possibly as well my unburnt in drivers are different.. better/worse hard to tell.. will listen in a bit in silence give it a real chance, and save my ears from turning it up to get over PC noise.. it sure goes loud!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi jimbobuk, hi lucky guy,

where have you bought it ? I'm looking to get one for a resonable price (ie 350 euros for an used).
SAC amp seems to be one of the best small ss amp for the K1000, but what with "conventionals sized" amps ? I actualy driving my K1000 with an EL34 push pull (2*20W) and sound is great, but i'm now looking for a solid state amp. My experience with Alessandro MS-2 tell me that SS amp are better for the music style i'm listening. On the other side, i've tried an hybrid amp with the K1000, and it's possible taht the sound is better with these one. So, i want buy a ss for my K1000, but i can't decide between a sac amp or a conventional chinese ss amp like a Korsun, Jungson or a Classic wich cost a little bit more but can also drive loudspeakers. SAC is really better than the rest of the production ?

thanks and excuse me for my poor english

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 9
I won the amp off of ebay. I can't comment about its suitability for your purposes, being unaware of its XLR inputs only I amp forced to use a horrible hybrid of maplins (US read radioshack style) cabling to get it into my Denon DCP 100.. its a mile away from my main flow of sound so that i can't test this amp against my old speaker amp i used to use to drive it. It certainly handles it well.. and sounds great so far.. punchy.. loud.. possibly faster/snappier than what i was used to. Not sure if the soundstage is the same as i am using the extra pair of K1000s i won at the same time, whos pads are more warn down and generally i wonder if they sound a bit different to my relatively mint K1000s.. hence my other post for at least wondering about new pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back