AKG 81dj , Creative Aurvana Live SENNHEISER HD 280PRO
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowabunga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a hard time deciding between AKG 81dj , Creative Aurvana Live or SENNHEISER HD 280PRO. All can be had for about $100. Which one would you get?

Out of those 3, my personal choice would be the Aurvana Live. It's got the same drivers as a Denon 1001. I haven't heard the Creative Labs version, but if it sounds like the Denon it's based on, it's a great deal.

I actively dislike the HD280 Pro. IMO they are really uncomfortable (head squishers) and have a closed in sound. They do isolate really well though.

The Aurvana Live is $55 at Costco. There's a thread about it in this forum.

I haven't heard the AKG 81dj. But I suspect that the Creative is competitive with it, based on where the Denon 1001 is in comparison to AKG's product line. Someone that's heard it should chime in though.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 16
I second the above sentiments regarding the HD280 clamping to hard. Plus they sound too dark for me.

For $55 the CAL!'s are a stellar deal, but they're still pretty good at MSRP. Compared to the K81Dj they are significantly more comfortable and have a livelier, more dimensional and 'fun' sound. The K81's sound more natural, especially with strings, isolate much better, and are far more portable. I also prefer the build of the K81's, although the Creatives aren't weak.

The one to buy would depend on what matters more to you as well as the prices you can actually get them at.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to Costcos in Canada!

Don't think I've ever seen them up here at Costco. I'll double check this weekend though, gotta make a Costco run anyway.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks! Eh!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Hello ljokerl thanks for the advise if I can get the CALs for 55 i will go for it. If I cant can you recommend another set of phones other then the ones I listed.

Well to be honest the K81 and CAL! are two of my favorites in the price range. The third is the JVC HA-M750, which is more of a compromise between the other two, but they are grossly overpriced in Canada (only $45 in the US).

All are good phones so you really have to decide what's most important to you. If it's portability/isolation, it goes K81 > HA-M750 > CAL!; if it's comfort it goes in reverse order, and so forth.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I can get the AKG 81 for $74 Can. I think I will go with them. Do they need an amp?

They don't really need an amp. I run my k518 straght out of my Sony DAP with no problems. You'll be happy with your purchase. These are bass hammers and if you remove the foam from the cups the sound opens up and they are even better.

Cheers
K

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I can get the AKG 81 for $74 Can. I think I will go with them. Do they need an amp?

Not whatsoever.

They're definitely loud enough without an amp, but I don't think an amp would make a difference.

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 16
hd 228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back