AKG 701 vs Grado 325i (or any other headphone)
Feb 7, 2007 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dty

100+ Head-Fier
Im trying to decide if I should get the AKG 701 or Grado 325i. As of right now Im leaning towards the AKG 701 since I heard Grados were too bright (dont know how bright they are for my taste since I never heard them before though). Im also wondering how much better the AKG 701s sound compared to my AKG 240s (I know the 701 will sound better of course, but how much better? Worth upgrading?) Im also open to other headphone opinions. Also I dont like the senn 580, 600 headphones..They sound too dark and boring for my taste. I can fall asleep listening to them.
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 12
the AKG, Senn, and Grados are all completely different sounds. as in very very different. the grados are the brightest headphones ever made, even brighter than the Sony SA5000 which already people complain is too bright. Senn is least bright, while AKG is just right. Detailed and never harsh or sibilant unless the music calls for it.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AKG, Senn, and Grados are all completely different sounds. as in very very different. the grados are the brightest headphones ever made, even brighter than the Sony SA5000 which already people complain is too bright. Senn is least bright, while AKG is just right. Detailed and never harsh or sibilant unless the music calls for it.

I think thats why the 701 appealed to me since I already own the akg 240s.. I was also wondering how much better the akg701 sounded compared to my akg240s.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Could I be so bold as to reccomend Alessandro Music Series 2 (MS2 or MS2i)? It's derived from the SR-325, but has a more neutral presentation. The MS2 still has the lively Grado sound, without the harshness that is reputed to be present on the 325i. I think the MS2 will have punchier bass and brigher highs than the AKG701 without sounding as fatiguing as the SR-325i, but I'm sure all three (MS2, SR325i, and K701) are great.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RollsDownWindowsManually /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I be so bold as to reccomend Alessandro Music Series 2 (MS2 or MS2i)? It's derived from the SR-325, but has a more neutral presentation. The MS2 still has the lively Grado sound, without the harshness that is reputed to be present on the 325i. I think the MS2 will have punchier bass and brigher highs than the AKG701 without sounding as fatiguing as the SR-325i, but I'm sure all three (MS2, SR325i, and K701) are great.

Around how much are they? Also have you personally listened to the akg 701?

Feb 7, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around how much are they? Also have you personally listened to the akg 701?

Nope, haven't heard the K701, but I'd like too. The remarks I made are bassed from the reviews I've read from numerous posts on here, headphone.com, and elsewhere. I haven't heard the SR-325i either, but I was considering both the k701 and sr-325i when I bought my MS2's, so it was a similair situation.

Also, musical tastes may come into play here. Grados and Alessandros are generally more favorable with rock and amplified generes, whereas the K701 is often regarded as a classical-oriented headphone (but that's not to say it wouldn't sound pretty good on rock too).

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 12
I just bought a 325i recently.
Done a lot of research on the review of few headphones, including Senn 600, 650, AKG 601, 701, and of course Grados' 325i, RS-1 and GS 1000.
After reading those reviews here, didnt even think that i'l ever get the 325i. More towards 701 that time.

So i went to my local headphones store, tried out all hte models i mentioned above. Oh man, i was in love with Grado sound signature especially RS-1 and 325i
orphsmile.gif

Senns and AKGs were totally out of my list. I am not saying they are not good, in fact they are very good headphones, but its just not up to my taste
k1000smile.gif

On the other hand, Grado really makes all my musics "come alive"
580smile.gif

It was so involving that i felt i was part of the songs !
Of all Grado, I like the RS-1 the most. But too expensive for me
frown.gif

So i got the 325i instead. 325i is really good for the price and i am gonna get it recabled soon. I didnt find 325i is too "bright", but no doubt that it is the brightest out of those models i mentioned above. But it is the brightness that i was in love with, the vocal is so clear, alive, that it makes the others sound a bit dull. So finally i got 325i.

Conclusion :
Those are all really good headphones, but each of them focus on different things. So its really up to your taste that which headphones suits you. And you'l never know untill you try them
orphsmile.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 12
I also have the 325i and involving would fit the description. You really are at the edge of your seat listening with these.
It's really all about what your hearing is like. You should pick the headphones that pair with your ears the best. Seenheiser are mellow sounding and not as aggressive as Grado's, but they are more laid back. The best thing ofcourse would be to audition these headphones yourself.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 12
Well the thing is..I cant try them out before buying so I have to go based on reviews. Im starting to lean towards the grado 325i and ms2. Has anyone listened to both of these? Which would you go for? I personally can get the 325i for cheaper, but ill pay the extra price for the ms2 if theyre worth it.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 12
It's probably best to pick a headphone based on your music preferences. Tonally, Grados aren't that much brighter then AKGs....it's just that AKGs have a large soundstage so treble can't get "harsh". If you're into heavy metal, hard rock, or classic rock....then go Grado. The SR325i is my favorite Grado.....it goes well with my HD650. It gives treble impact to hot mastered rock CDs that might not be too dynamic otherwise. The HD650 gives impact for electronica and classical music quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back