AKG 701 unamped?
Mar 9, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #16 of 43
K701 only needs a tube amp if you have a thin-sounding DAC, which unfortunately applies to even some expensive external DACs. If you have a nice warm DAC, which is how a good DAC is supposed to sound, then solid state would be the choice for the K701s. It's all about synergy.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do what "Gaso" says. Buy some crappy headphones and and a $1200 headphone amp. Don't listen to me. And whatever you do, recable those crappy cans, but then you have to hit them with pink noise for two years before you can put them on your head. Then start "rolling" your tubes...

Exactly when did he say that? Gaso indicated that the OP would likely be happier with a cheaper headphone that doesn't require heavy amplification, since an unamped K701 does NOT sound like a top tier headphone.

To the OP, I will admit that, as audiomagnate said, the K701 should be able to drive to enjoyable VOLUME levels without a dedicated amp, but the quality just isn't there - you'll be wondering why you spent all that money on such a dry, boring headphone. If you do intend to get an amp eventually, then the K701 isn't a bad option. If you never intend on building a quality rig, however, you will be much happier with other phones that provide a better value for setups like yours.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 43
i agree with asr, most people here tend to give the wrong advice to newbs... i'm pretty sure that's why a lot of them come back dissatsified saying things like "the sr225 sucks!"

it's all in the usage, i'm pretty sure if i got the k701's for gaming or listening to 128 bitrate mp3's, i'd be mad at head-fi for making me spend hundreds of dollars on equipment that i didn't even like

so, assuming the OP is still around here, please tell us what you will be using the headphones for, what gear you currently have, and if you like bass or not =D

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 43
I would buy a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 headphones and plug them into the soundcard / PC. Listen for a while and see if you need anything better. If so by all means splash out on 501s /701s.

If you buy 'phones in the price range of the 701s for gaming / listening to compressed music / CDs thru' the soundcard it's - IMO of course - a bit of a waste of your hard earned cash. I speak as one who has done this.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 43
My experience says K701 surely needs an amp to shine. Though it's a low impedance can, an amp is required to realize the full potential of K701.

Last week I tried my K701 with DAP and it sounded like a POS. I then connected it through Meier Corda Prehead MKII and played the same song, it sounded excellent.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 43
There's a difference between building a complete system or trying to "get the most" out of a headphone vs. enjoying your music. My HP-1s (which are a low impedance headphone which likes power just as the K 701s apparently do), sound fine plugged right into an iPod. Are they as good as when they are plugged into a dedicated amp? No. But I'd rather listen to music using a headphone I like instead of worrying about how it's inappropriate to use them without an amp.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm starting to realize a bad trend that's been going on within Head-Fi. With all the discussion about the K701 both good and bad, newbies read all the raving (and ranting), and think they have to get those just because everyone is talking about them, without giving any thought of the scale of the headphones in question.

The K701 is a top-class audiophile-grade headphone. I don't think anyone here will dissent that. I don't think anyone will dissent either that trying to install the K701 on a computer-based setup, without an amp, on music encoded at unknown rates, is an insult to the K701. This headphone deserves its place in the headphone hi-fi market, and is definitely not something that was built with computer applications in mind.

I'd suggest to the OP to look into alternative headphones that ARE designed for computer-based applications, and actually make sense to use. Also you might want to run over to something more like SharkyForums, lest the crazily addicted audiophiles here start talking you into exoticly-named tube amps and tell you that you "need" an external DAC, because you don't. Your wallet and sanity will thank you.

I don't know what the logic here is, but I have to disagree strongly with you ASR. Saying that a particular phone isn't worth using because the downstream equipment is not as good is not a valid reason for not owning them. It would be the equivalent of saying you won't notice the difference between a BMW M5 and a Ford Focus because you can't afford 93 octane gas and Euro-tires. Even with 5 year old Good Years and 87 octane gas a BMW M5 will be completely different from a Ford Focus, and will add the appropriate amount of enjoyment over the Focus despite the fact that it's not running at 100%.

Saying an unamped K701 with a bad source is equivalent to a HD497 or something is ludicrous. I enjoy my K501's out of my nice DAC and amp but its sound signature is still basically the same straight out of an iPod, which is better than the SR60, HD497, or any phone under $100 for that matter.

I think it's pretty pretentious to suggest that only good equipment will work with good phones. The fact of the matter is, phones account for 90% or more of the audio quality, and unless the OP is listening to 32kbps stuff recorded in the 30s, I see no reason for him not to buy a damn good phone to enjoy his music.

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #23 of 43
The K701 sounds boring straight out of a portable - the music just doesn't have enough life in it. If a guy buys a pair of headphones and is expecting the "WOW" effect - well he just won't get this out of a DAP to K701 setup. The detail is there, but everything else is missing.

There are simply better headphones that do not require an amp to shine.

HD497 is a bad example
smily_headphones1.gif
- but it copes better unamped than a K701. Frankly, I prefer the HD497 on my Audigy 2 ZS to Yamaha Receiver setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying an unamped K701 with a bad source is equivalent to a HD497 or something is ludicrous. I enjoy my K501's out of my nice DAC and amp but its sound signature is still basically the same straight out of an iPod, which is better than the SR60, HD497, or any phone under $100 for that matter.

I think it's pretty pretentious to suggest that only good equipment will work with good phones. The fact of the matter is, phones account for 90% or more of the audio quality, and unless the OP is listening to 32kbps stuff recorded in the 30s, I see no reason for him not to buy a damn good phone to enjoy his music.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Even with 5 year old Good Years and 87 octane gas a BMW M5 will be completely different from a Ford Focus, and will add the appropriate amount of enjoyment over the Focus despite the fact that it's not running at 100%.

Not to go too far off topic here, but using lower octane gas will reduce fuel efficiency, so it wont save you much money. Using 5 year old tires is dangerous. In this scenario, I think the Focus may actually be the better choice.

Relating that to headphones, my H320 can barely drive my IM716 at 100% volume. It does fine, but if it were any weaker then I would probably listen to it using my KSC75s instead. I clicked this thread because I was planning on buying the K601 and I was wondering what kind of amp I needed. From what ive read, if I were to go ampless, then something like the Senn HD555 would be a superior and cheaper option. Depending on what kidn of music the OP listens to, there are probably many sub $200 headphones that can outperform the K701 without an amp. I havent heard both, but id think even a KSC75 could pull it off. Anyone have both and wanna test?

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #26 of 43
I have a Porta Pro on a KSC35 clip - close enough on to a KSC75 methinks
smily_headphones1.gif
. The Koss is a lot more fun to listen to un-amped. I don't think anyone can deny that. Forget soundstage though
smily_headphones1.gif
. Grab an MS1 drizek, if you like your KSC75s - it's like a more mature refined version of it (to quote another head-fier - he was right on the ball).

I've heard that the K601/K501 is just as difficult to drive as a K701 (higher impedance). My experience with the K701 unamped was unsatisfactory and that was jumping from an $99 MS1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to go too far off topic here, but using lower octane gas will reduce fuel efficiency, so it wont save you much money. Using 5 year old tires is dangerous. In this scenario, I think the Focus may actually be the better choice.

Relating that to headphones, my H320 can barely drive my IM716 at 100% volume. It does fine, but if it were any weaker then I would probably listen to it using my KSC75s instead. I clicked this thread because I was planning on buying the K601 and I was wondering what kind of amp I needed. From what ive read, if I were to go ampless, then something like the Senn HD555 would be a superior and cheaper option. Depending on what kidn of music the OP listens to, there are probably many sub $200 headphones that can outperform the K701 without an amp. I havent heard both, but id think even a KSC75 could pull it off. Anyone have both and wanna test?

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #27 of 43
The KSC75 is fun, but I prefer the flat sound of my im716 most of the time. I dont really care about sound quality when it comes to bassy music and so the KSC is perfect for it. Both the Koss and the AL suck at soundstage, which is why im attracted to the K601.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

I don't know what the logic here is, but I have to disagree strongly with you ASR. Saying that a particular phone isn't worth using because the downstream equipment is not as good is not a valid reason for not owning them. It would be the equivalent of saying you won't notice the difference between a BMW M5 and a Ford Focus because you can't afford 93 octane gas and Euro-tires. Even with 5 year old Good Years and 87 octane gas a BMW M5 will be completely different from a Ford Focus, and will add the appropriate amount of enjoyment over the Focus despite the fact that it's not running at 100%.

I was replying to the original post, which if you noticed, had a wording that specifically implied that he was contemplating the purchase of the K701 solely based on what he was reading on the forum, and not because of any existing audiophile tendencies. There's a very big trap here on Head-Fi that I think a lot of people don't realize. Ranting about certain headphones day in day out can and will cause "bystanders" to buy them without a conscious decision on whether that headphone is well-suited for their application.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #29 of 43
yeah, if you have a fixed budget, and that budget doesn't allow for an amp, or you have no intention of ever getting an amp then choose another headphone that is easier driven without an amp

if your budget does allow for an amp or you plan on getting an amp a little further down the trap, then by all means go with the K701

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by deiexmachinis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people rave about these cans, and I was considering getting a pair, but I don't own an amp. Is SQ still good by itself, or will an amp be necessary ?

Quiet and boring without something good driving them. (like out of an iPod jack)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back