AKG 701 & rock music
Apr 14, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Yeah I need someone who listens to In Flames or Slayer to tell me how the K701s do with that sort of metal. May have to use my A900s for that stuff though.

I've been listening to a bit of in flames the last week or so, and it works quite well with the K701. The bass doesn't become bloated, and while the presentation might not be so lively, it still works well.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by OliT
I've been listening to a bit of in flames the last week or so, and it works quite well with the K701. The bass doesn't become bloated, and while the presentation might not be so lively, it still works well.

Thanks for the info.

Apr 14, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 21
darkninja, do you like rock out of your A900s? I can't stand any non-progressive rock out of my A700s. The music feels too far away and ruins any intamicy. Bob Dylan out of A700s is pretty boring as is most metal. I really want a pair of SA1k or MS-1s to hear a more upfront presentation.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Umm, at 30 hours, my K701 + Hornet combo doesn't outdo my unamped HF-1 in fun factor
eek.gif

I don't think my Grado are going anywhere even when the K701 are fully mature.

I agree with your strategy. I feel the Senns 600/650 and AKG 601/701 are good for jazz/classical and Grado fills in the other end - fast attack and decay stuff like rock, blue grass, etc. (basically anything with a driving beat (all pop music) (wooden instruments sound great on the RS-1's).

There's no headphone that can do it all. So, those that are selling everything and getting one headphone must either be interested in a limited type of musical styles or just tolerate the fact that they won't get the best for certain types of music.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 21
Yea, I picked the HF-1 because they just happened to be there around the time I was bombarded with choice.

After the HF-1, I decided to go something on the other side of the spectrum. The choices were between DT880 and HD650. Then I heard those two and the K501 and I thought, hey, the K501 are pretty good - the soundstage was a huge contrast. And since the K701 were being sold much cheaper than retail, I decided to snatch one before it was too late
biggrin.gif
I should just leave Head-Fi now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back