AKG 701 or DT880 to replace SR80
Oct 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

asmd

100+ Head-Fier
hi yall.
in a bit of a dilemma here. first for a short history. been listening to phones only recently (couple of years). i mainly use my pc rig over a klipsch IFI and i do like the sound quite a bit. ive been using portapros for portable use and no so long ago got myself a grado sr80. figured with the bright presentation that klipsch is noted for, the grados would be right up my alley. the sr80 seem to reveal a lot more treble information - it was different, sounded allright... and then a couple of weeks ago was when the trouble all started. i got myself a denon d2000 and now i cant tolerate how forward the sr80's are (almost shouty). its presentation borders on screachy compared to the d2000 and most importantly it was like an epiphany as to how much bass information i perceived as missing! the d2000 may be bassy but not more so than my IFIs or porta pro. the sr80 has bass but no extension or weight to it. (i suppose this trait would provide fast tight bass). at the present time i have to shelf EQ the treble for it to sound good. the d2000s have really (glass half full/half empty?) spoilt me or shown how good good can be. in fact i closely listened to the portapros and the sr80 and found that the porta pro has more bass and although less refined and blunted top end, its also easier on the ears. plus the detail, soundstage of the d2000.. well basically what ever good everybody has ever said about them, i experienced positively. (the only thing its not is probably unfriendly when it comes to listening laying down.) source is foobar-asio-m-audio revo 5.1 & cowon d2-headsix. history done.

so the sr80s will have to go (sale) and since christmas seems to have come early (ebay), figured i would replace them and ive narrowed it down to the two usual suspects - AKG701 and the DT880. i realise there have been several threads regarding the differences between the two but even after perusing them several times over, im still in limbo.

what im looking for in essence is not the grado and more akin to the d2000. from what i can conclude that would be the dt880 or so i seem to think. i keep second guessing myself.

between then akg701 and the dt880, which would be more like the d2000. what are their virtues relative to the d2000?

another reason is to experience the sound of a different set of phones. if i hadnt sprung for the d2000 i really would never have known what i was missing. truly.

regards,
asmd.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 7
i truly do enjoy and endorse the d2000s. i needed a second pair for a different location and i didnt want to get something i already had... wanted to try something different.
i recently acquired an athesw9 and its filling in for a while until i decide on a firm purchase decision later.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 7
The 701s need a whole lot of amp. I am still working towards getting them an amp that will do them well. They do not have very much bass, even when you get them amped correctly. With the wrong amp, they have almost none.

It really depends on your music choice. If you're listening to a lot of rock, I would avoid the 701. There are some guitar and treble-heavy rock bands that I just can't listen to on the 701, but some sound great. Either way they are not an all around rock can.

Can't really speak on the other phones as I have not heard them, or head them for a very short time. My advice would be to pick something with a sort of opposite sound sig from the D2000, just so you can experience a range of equipment.

EDIT: the esw9 is a really really good phone. Do you not enjoy that type of sound sig? If so you could use that to narrow your choices. I would not consider it a "filling in phone" in terms of SQ or anything else.

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 7
I used to have a HeadSix. It does alright with the DT880, but is wholly inadequate for the K-701. Unless you commit some cash to a desktop amp or build one yourself (not that hard, look into it if you're curious), the K-701 will be flat, lifeless and plasticky.

The DT880, on the other hand, has a forward signature that isn't that far off from a Grado. Are you sure that's what you really want?

I haven't heard the Denon, but it sounds like the Sennheiser HD-580/600/650 line might be more of what you're looking for.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 7
If you are unhappy with the SR80's bass you are going to hate the K701 and DT880 so much that you'll want to throw them down your toilet bowl. Ok, maybe less so for the DT880, but certainly for the K701. The SR80 is a bass monster compared to those 2.

If you want something like the D2000, you can try one of the ultrasones like HFI-780. It has an even better bass than the D2000, but it does have a rather recessed mids.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 7
And what's wrong exactly with the d2000s? Neither dt880 or k701 will provide near the amount of bass the d2000 provide. They are quite the opposite (thin and bright, 701 moreso than 880).

For everything else, the k701 is more distant and imo less 'colored' than the dt880 (only certain genres would match but k701 seems to handle most music well). It's less fatiguing and the soundstage is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back