akg 701 + naim headline a good combo?
Jul 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

shaunw

New Head-Fier
As the title really, I'm finding it impossible to get a demo of these bits of kit together and am going purely on others descriptions on how these two units sound. From what I can make out, the akg and naim are top notch and would deliver (individually) the sort of sound I like. However I havent seen much about the two items being used together so are there any akg 701 / headline users out there?

I'm looking for neutral but snappy and involving sound with good imaging and articulate (not overblown or wooly) bass. I can happily live with some brightness. My musical tastes range from Kate Bush through Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel, classical, electrionic 80s music, Pink Floyd etc so the set up will have to deliver a good sound on a wide range of styles.

On a more practical note, do the two items compliment each other electrically (impedence etc)? It looks like they do looking at the specs but from what I'm learning through this forum, thats not always a guarantee.

I've searched the forums quite a bit and havent found much on this pairing but feel free to guide me to any relevant links.

Thanks

Shaun

PS forgot to mention, I will be using a Musical Fidelity XRay as the source

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 19
dont, just dont do it.

The NAIM is a very "dry" amp and it will sound very boring with the K701's. It'll be a good fit for something like the DT990 or the RS-1 which are great if they are being restrained a bit in the upper frequencies, but with the K701's it wont be as good.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 19
I had the Naim Headline 2 and the 701 and thought that it sounded great - "snappy" to use the word of the sound you desire. I ended up with the 650, and evetually the PS Audio GCHA, but could be totally happy with the Naim/701 combo.

I haven't had or heard the original Naim headline, but I sure wouldn't call the Headline 2 "dry." "Clean as a whistle," perhaps, but not thin or threadbare. Very nice.

I think a lot depends upon the source. I was using an Arcam CD33 cd player. A shrill or thin source might be more of a problem with the 701 and the Naim than that same nasty source would be with, say, the Senn HD650 and a WooAudio 3. But I take exception with the "don't do it" advice - I say "go right ahead!" if that's the sound signature that you prefer. The Headline 2 and the 701 are topflight gear, and work swell together, if the source plays along nicely.

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks Greggf thats exactly the sort of advice I'm after. I know this next question is subjective, but do you think these two deliver the sort of transparency and detail that lets you forget about the hi fi and just get lost in the music?

Regards
Shaun

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 19
in short, yes. the headline2/701 was one of my preferred combos. effortless drive and never running short of breath. i could have easily lived with it. recommended!

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 19
As an alternative , you may want to read the review for using the HK 3480 as a headphone amp. It compares the sound to the Naim headphone amp.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks Guys, much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 19
I have the headline2 but no AKG701. But the amp works well with my Grados at least
rs1smile.gif
I have a hard time thinking it would be that bad with a pair of 701. It does just fine with my other cans as well (Ety ER4P/S, Sennheiser 650 and 25).

Pics are fun:
img502401sh1.jpg

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 19
shaunw,

I quite frankly can't imagine any combo more transparent and detailed than the Naim Headline 2 and the AKG K701, if that's what you're looking for. At least at anything approaching a reasonable price. In its own way, that combo was as detailed and transparent as any Koss or Stax stats that I've owned, but with a richer sound than the stats (I've never owned or heard the Stax Omega, however.)

As to whether or not you can relax and get lost in "just the music," that depends upon your mood of the moment, not just the equipment!
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Your quite right Greggf, the mood must be right, but when you are in
the mood its irritating when the equipment 'gets in the way' if you know what I mean? Thanks for the info I think you and a couple of others have helped me make my mind up at last!

Shaun

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 19
Shaun,
my Headline2/Flatcap2 is anything but dry and sterile. i just recently bought a pair of DT880 and thus far, after 30 hrs of burn-in, i think this is going to be a wonderful pairing. i have not tried the 701 though.

BTW, what power supply will you be using to power the Headline2?

i love my Headline2.

PACE

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 19
snejk,
lovely picture!

PACE

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 19
To answer your question fishski13, The best I can afford! Although hopefully, once I have purchased the AKGs I will be able to get a demo on the Headline using the 'i supply' and their more expensive offerings.

Shaun

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 19
I used the iSupply - couldn't afford better at the time. Haven't heard the Naim with any other power supply. Let us know if you hear any differences between supplies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back