AKG 701 in Stereophile August Wes Philips
Jul 18, 2006 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

tbonner1

Headphoneus Supremus
A few of his thoughts:

He seemed to think the burn in reduced "edgeiness" after a week.

Bass: "...scary good"

Midrange: he liked it alot "... can teach an old song new tricks."

Treble: "..deliverd snap and bloom"

His "..chief niggle with the Senn 650 was that they could be overly analynical.."

"701's add sparkle and life to the high frequencies"

"701's have rasied the bar"

HD 650's overly analynical? I do not think I have heard that about the HD 650's particularly from people after they have heard the Sony SA5000. He also made a comment about it being too easy to "hear the musical trees" through the forest on the HD 650's. I took this to mean there was too much micro detail with the HD650's and it detracted from the picture of the forest.

Good to see headphone reviews in the old school mainstream audiophile press.

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 33
Yeah, those kinds of statements make it sound like an add. Stereophile is right up there with the New York Times as far as credibility, but it's a fun read anyway. (I might need a flame suit for this)

"scary good bass" OMG
rolleyes.gif

IMHO the "bar" was established with the K-1000 and they haven't matched that yet. But I'm glad heaphones are getting some press anyway.

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
IMHO the "bar" was established with the K-1000 and they haven't matched that yet.

Almost makes me glad I have not heard them . . . . allows me to remain satisfied longer with what I have.
Besides, my wallet is in therapy as it is
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 33
Yeah this review is a pretty good laugh, where he says "the 701s have some of the deepest bass he's ever heard in headphones... and its scary good" I almost fell off the couch in a bout of laughter
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Not that I really expect any better from stereophile these days. Good thing its only $12 a year.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 33
Isn't he supposed to have golden ears?

I can't help but wonder if those quotes are taken out of context. I mean, that's just so far off from what I hear when I put on the K701 vs. the HD650. Not even disagreeing that the K701 is a good headphone (I don't like it)... I don't think that those who DO like it would classify it as he's writing about it.

I'll have to pick that magazine up today on the way home. So weird.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 33
Scary good bass to me is both correct tone (no one note) with texture that actually physically feels like it's moving my earbuds.

Oh, and it can't overpower the rest of the spectrum. It needs to be controlled.

Needless to say, I don't know too many headphones that have "scary good" bass.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by robm302
Yeah, those kinds of statements make it sound like an add. Stereophile is right up there with the New York Times as far as credibility, but it's a fun read anyway. (I might need a flame suit for this)

"scary good bass" OMG

IMHO the "bar" was established with the K-1000 and they haven't matched that yet. But I'm glad heaphones are getting some press anyway.

Dude, well said! When it comes to reviewing new stuff, I think Wes Phillips has a lack of short term memory. Every product he reviews is his new best yet. That goes for most of the reviews in Stereophile. What a worthless magazine. IMO, most British Hi-fi reviews are much more level headed and judicious.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Almost makes me glad I have not heard them . . . . allows me to remain satisfied longer with what I have.
Besides, my wallet is in therapy as it is
rolleyes.gif

Don't feel like you are missing something. Seriously, the K1000's require investment in gear and is not as plug and play as the K701. Also, the K1000 brings out the "true ugliness" of bad recordings like they are supposed to in their quest for accuracy.

Hope that helps!
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
Dude, well said! When it comes to reviewing new stuff, I think Wes Phillips has a lack of short term memory. Every product he reviews is his new best yet. That goes for most of the reviews in Stereophile. What a worthless magazine. IMO, most British Hi-fi reviews are much more level headed and judicious.

I don't read Stereophile much or pay any attention to it, but what you just said is a carbon copy of what I do see when they're mentioned on this board. Seems like this sort of thing is their current rep.

Oh, and NiceCans, the K1000 doesn't jive with everyone's ears. I find them really fatiguing really quickly... you could be the same! They're pretty cool, but they're not for everyone.

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I don't read Stereophile much or pay any attention to it, but what you just said is a carbon copy of what I do see when they're mentioned on this board. Seems like this sort of thing is their current rep.

Oh, and NiceCans, the K1000 doesn't jive with everyone's ears. I find them really fatiguing really quickly... you could be the same! They're pretty cool, but they're not for everyone.

Agreed but what headphone does jive with everyones ears
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

confused.gif

No headphone!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

confused.gif

the cyborgenetic implant ones they build in your ear to match exactly
tongue.gif

however there are some, um . . . drawbacks . . . .
unless of course you do not object to thought-farming
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back