AKG 551 vs 550 (sonic only)
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SSandDigital

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

AKG 551 can be found for much cheaper price than 550.  So I'm wondering sonically, is there a difference?  I'm not concerned about the difference in plug and cable.  Just sound.

I've read a few threads around the net and couldn't get a clear answer.  I'm assuming that the headphones should be identical other than the added microphone.

Usage:  In public with phone most likely.

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hello,

AKG 551 can be found for much cheaper price than 550.  So I'm wondering sonically, is there a difference?  I'm not concerned about the difference in plug and cable.  Just sound.

I've read a few threads around the net and couldn't get a clear answer.  I'm assuming that the headphones should be identical other than the added microphone.

Usage:  In public with phone most likely.

I don't know for sure but I would bet they are the same headphone but with a built in microphone/remote.  They got just as good a review on What Hi-fi anyway and can be found on Thomann for only 68 UK pounds plus postage so if the remote does not bother you I would say go for it as that is an absolute bargain for the sonic quality on offer.  I have the K550 and they are great.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 5
Personally I feel that the AKG 550 is way superior in both its build and sound quality. I definitely prefer the thicker cable of the 550 and the richer sound of the 550 compared to the 551. That said, with a good amp, I guess the AKG 551 could be on par with its older brother. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 5
I will recable the K551 since I have a feeling the mic won't work with my N5. Using IMO the best wire and 1/8 plug available for headphones.  DoubleHelix wires and switchcraft.  I wouldn't say cables make that much difference, but figure why not since I already have them.

Probably won't recable the K712 I just bought.  If I do, I'll probably send them to DoubleHelix and he can make them dual entry, dremel the other cup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back