AKG 518DJ detachable cable with single entry modification
Apr 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jiankkll

New Head-Fier
First of all, Thanks to "cyberspyder" and "supergolf" for the nice modification tutorial: 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479688/a-pic-by-pic-akg-k81dj-k518-recable-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559367/akg-k518-k81-detachable-cable-mod-single-entry-guide-lots-of-pictures

They give me both inspiration and courage to do my own mod.

The reason I start my mod is because I like the design of Monster headphones, especially the detachable cable and it’s cable design, but I don’t appreciate it’s price tag. My AKG 518dj headphone is the best headphone in it’s price range, but it also came with a long, old fashioned and undetachable cable. So I decide to modify it, make it’s cable function just like Monsters, and then give it a Monster's cable.

The modification is actually very easy. The AKG’s headphone is well designed and it’s very easy to open up, just remove the pads and there are 3 screws that hold each cup together. Untighten them and the cup will split in half, allowing you to get to the driver connections.

The 3.5mm socket is from a Sony 3.5mm extension cable, it got an aluminum case, which looks very nice. The gluing and soldering is very basic, but drilling a perfect hole for the socket is quite difficult. The cup is round shaped and 3.5mm socket must come out at a roughly 30 degree angle. It’s impossible to precisely measure how much to drill, so I have to slow down the process, and do it very carefully.

After spending nearly 1 hour to drill the hole using a dremel, and fix the socket with hot glue, I finally got it done.

The cable is not a real monster cable, but it's a quality OFC cable. The remote and mic are functioning as they suppose to be, and the whole cable looks and feels exactly like the real one. But the price is just $5.

This is the first time I do a earphone mod, but it turns out very successful, and I am very pleased.

Alright, that's it, thanks for watching, and hope this thread will also give you inspiration and courage to do your own mod.
smile.gif

May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 2
Well done for your first mod. Looks pretty clean.

For any plastic work I usually get down to work with a round file and slowly work my way up to the correct diameter hole.

How sturdy are you finding that port being only secured with hot glue?

Where's a good source for that beat cord? I have a red one that I picked up but the cheapest (reputable looking) one I found was a little under 13 bucks shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back