AKG 501 vs Grado SR60
Jul 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr60 and ms1's come with comfies.

Todd the Vinyl Junkie (forum sponser) sells the bowls for $15.00. If you buy MS1's new you will have to buy them direct. If you want bowl pads you might check with them and see if they sell them. Might cut your shipping some. Also if you buy from TTVJ, register with them but don't place your order. Then logout of their site and check your email for a registration confirmation. They will send you a new customer discount for your first order ($10.00 if not mistaken). Then place your order with the promo code and you will get a discount off of your first purchase.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 20
I can testify to the awesomeness of the SR80s. They sound great with Rock and Prog Rock (AC/DC, Pink Floyd, King Crimson), Acoustic (Andy McKee, Micheal Hedges), and Electronica (Paul van Dyk, Daft Punk, Tiesto). Coincidentally, these are the main genres I listen to. The acoustic sounds wonderfantasticspectabulous through the SR80s.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #19 of 20
I've got the K-501 and have listened to several pairs of SR-60s I've given to family members. I usually use the RS-1, though.

Also listen to a number of the bands you mention, and almost always with the RS-1. Grados do rock very well. The K-501 is better suited toward acoustic music - I love it for classical, jazz and roots music. You also need to buy an amp for the K-501; they sound thin and lifeless without some power.

If you're willing to go to $200 and would consider an amp, you might be interested in a used Sennheiser HD-600. I've been spending more and more time with my pair. They're excellent for almost anything you give them.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr60 and ms1's come with comfies.

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Todd the Vinyl Junkie (forum sponser) sells the bowls for $15.00. If you buy MS1's new you will have to buy them direct. If you want bowl pads you might check with them and see if they sell them. Might cut your shipping some. Also if you buy from TTVJ, register with them but don't place your order. Then logout of their site and check your email for a registration confirmation. They will send you a new customer discount for your first order ($10.00 if not mistaken). Then place your order with the promo code and you will get a discount off of your first purchase.

I think I am going to try the comfies first, and if I don't like them, I will buy some bowl pads later. Thank you for the tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can testify to the awesomeness of the SR80s. They sound great with Rock and Prog Rock (AC/DC, Pink Floyd, King Crimson), Acoustic (Andy McKee, Micheal Hedges), and Electronica (Paul van Dyk, Daft Punk, Tiesto). Coincidentally, these are the main genres I listen to. The acoustic sounds wonderfantasticspectabulous through the SR80s.

Haha, good to hear. Thank you very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the K-501 and have listened to several pairs of SR-60s I've given to family members. I usually use the RS-1, though.

Also listen to a number of the bands you mention, and almost always with the RS-1. Grados do rock very well. The K-501 is better suited toward acoustic music - I love it for classical, jazz and roots music. You also need to buy an amp for the K-501; they sound thin and lifeless without some power.

If you're willing to go to $200 and would consider an amp, you might be interested in a used Sennheiser HD-600. I've been spending more and more time with my pair. They're excellent for almost anything you give them.

I don't think I can afford 200 plus an amp right now, but I will consider them if I want another set of cans after these. Thank you very much.

Edit: After reading the interview with John Grado, I am second guessing my MS-1 choice. Not to say that George Alessandro isn't somebody I want to give my money to, but I feel like I want to support what John Grado is doing and want to give the Grado sound an unaltered listen. I am thinking about picking up the SR-80s instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back