AKG 272 HD
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Partofgoo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and after some days of deep reading they helped me out on alot
smily_headphones1.gif

After looking around I am now planning to buy the AKG 272 HD. I am new to 'good' headphones: after buying some cheap sucky ones I was fed up with the sound and wanted something better.

Although I dont want to spend to much. Im a relatively poor student and therefore I can afford something like the 272 HD, but anything really more than 130 euros will be too expensive.
My main question now is: Will I need a (portable) amp for running these phones properly? I will be mainly running them on a xfi soundcard and directly on my iPod.

If not, do you have any good recommendations for a preferably cosed can which might not need an amp? or other tips?

Thanks so much once again for your help.

Partofgoo

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 11
Ok thanks for your help. I think I'll just get them and see if it works out. Problems is I cant compare to them anything else and have to order them on the internet, since they hard are hard to come by in shops here (Netherlands).

How is the sound of the 272 according to you guys? I listen mostly acoustic music and some rock/instrumental, and I don't mind if the bass is a bit lacking.
thanks once again!

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 11
272 HD is the consumer version of the 271 Mk2. I suspect the only difference is outside packaging. Though the 271 Mk2 can be loud enough without an amp, it really needs a decent amplifier to make some real music.

For a great sounding portable without an amp, go with the Sennheiser HD25-1.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 11
I've always been interested in the 272HD, but many ppl have reported it to be utterly boring...so get it from a place w/ a return policy if any possible
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 11
the 272hd run nicely out of my laptop and ipod touch without an amp but an amp will bring them to another level. I have gotten out of the whole portable amp idea, desktop amps (like the hifiman ef2) are just much better for these headphones. definitely still quality out of an ipod. the bass will be the first thing that you feel is missing but it will kick in once the pads conform to you ear and get a solid seal around your ear. they are large so portable use is questionable. they are basically permanently attached to my amp and dont move now. i really like how acoustic music sounds with these headphones btw. good luck finding the right headphone for you!
k701smile.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Since amps will most likely double the price of my investment I'd rather indeed go for something less amp dependent. Looking at the sennheiser HD 25-1 now. I will look at the forums myself regarding some information for them ofcourse. But how would you call them for mainly accoustic music? I'm definitely not looking for a too dominant bass
wink.gif

Thanks once again! Once I got one of them I will let you know how they are
smily_headphones1.gif
(although most likely i will spend atleast some days researching
wink.gif
)

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been interested in the 272HD, but many ppl have reported it to be utterly boring...so get it from a place w/ a return policy if any possible
wink.gif

they actually have a little bit more "groove" than the K601/701.

OP,
this pretty much nails it: AKG K 271 MK II - Full Size Headphones | HeadRoom Audio. i've not tried them on my iPod though.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Ok coming back on my decision and will get the 272 and try it. They sound good for what I want, I just hope they will be fine with my iPod but after reading Headroom I think it will be fine. Cheers! Ill let you know once I have them
wink.gif
might take 2 weeks delivery tho.

May 27, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Just got these phones today and am burning them in at the moment (listening to music).

Not so refined yet, but I believe my quest for a good portable headphone has ended. I don't worry about size too much..

Mmm, melodies from a closed can for the first time in a long time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back