AKG 271 Velour Pads worth it?
Nov 29, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tufflitestudios

Head-Fier
I was thinking about getting the velour replacement pads for my akg 271's. The existing pads aren't worn out at this point. I am wondering if it's worth getting these pads. Are they more comfortable? Do they get a better seal? Do they fit over your ear as apposed to on your ear like the stock pads? Any info would be great.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 12
they fit around my ear, though sometimes I have to move the headphone around a bit to get my ear "inside" the cup.

I haven't tried the pleather, but the velours don't make me sweat (and all pleathers do).

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 12
I had both the velour and vinyl pads on the K271.
My ears are big, so with the vinyl pads, they rested on my ear, instead of surrounding them.
The velour pads made things worse, because in them is even lesser space for the ear. So for me, the velour pads were very uncomfortable. They made the K271 more supra aural.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 12
fit was fine for me, and much more comfortable. also the main reason to get the velours. soundwise I don't know, as I've not really compared them and put the velours right on. I do know the leathery squeaking when moving had stopped and isolation remained very good (used portable
tongue.gif
).

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Totally! With pleather my ears were touching drivers, velour pads are deeper and totally eliminated that inconvenience. Plus because of a better seal, bass got increased as a result, not to mention that ears stay sweat free for hour and hours of happy listening.
In my opinion it is an absolutely must upgrade, glad AKG realized that and started packing new MKII and HD models with velour pads.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Another alternative is Beyer Velours......and the same time, you may wish to get a thinner foam insert than AKG provides. Senn. has thinner that will fit (it's been a couple of years since I've owned K271). Ultimately, I didn't like k271 and moved up several times.
Anyway, the Beyer earpads will fit and provide more "ear room" than anything made by AKG..........While they weren't available at the time - I use Beyer Genuine Leather earpads on my closed Beyers. They are only likely to be available to you via the Aviation page of the Beyerdynamic site.

edit: I owned the AKG Velours and the inner circumference is the same as the lousy Pleathers.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 12
My buddy Noxter and me tested quite some different pads for our K271s.
th__P1010064.jpg

Best sound so far are taped DT770 velour pads, and also comfort & soundscape are increased.
_P1010065.jpg

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally! With pleather my ears were touching drivers, velour pads are deeper and totally eliminated that inconvenience. Plus because of a better seal, bass got increased as a result, not to mention that ears stay sweat free for hour and hours of happy listening.
In my opinion it is an absolutely must upgrade, glad AKG realized that and started packing new MKII and HD models with velour pads.

My problem with the velour pads was not the depth, but the witdh....

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 12
I found the velour to be much more comfortable than the stock. However, I think they are both are the same width. The 271s are circumaural (around the ears, not on top of) to me. I can't even image them sitting on top of your ears!
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tufflitestudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about getting the velour replacement pads for my akg 271's. The existing pads aren't worn out at this point. I am wondering if it's worth getting these pads. Are they more comfortable? Do they get a better seal? Do they fit over your ear as apposed to on your ear like the stock pads? Any info would be great.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My problem with the velour pads was not the depth, but the witdh....

I see, yes, Beyer pads are much better in that respect by fully surrounding ears. I have only tried ones from DT880 and sonically they were awful, nickchen on the other hand reports good result with taped DT770 pads, may be this is the way to go.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the velour to be much more comfortable than the stock. However, I think they are both are the same width. The 271s are circumaural (around the ears, not on top of) to me. I can't even image them sitting on top of your ears!
confused_face_2.gif

The inside width of the velour pads is smaller, because the surface of the pads is thicker.
And if you have long ears, as I have, yes they rest on the lob of your ear.

See also this thread (K240 pads are the same as the K271): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...35/index3.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back