Akg 271 or 701
Mar 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bobaroo

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between these two headphones;
Akg k271
Akg k701

I realize that the 271 are a studio ‘closed’ and the 701 ‘open’. They both seem to have good tonal qualities and comfort from what I can find. I would probably save about $100.00 going with the 271’s.
I will be using a Meier Airetta and would be listening to classical music in an audiophile type system; outside noise attenuation and comfort are considerations.
So, is there a big difference between these two for sound quality and comfort? And how much outside noise will I hear with the 701’s?
Please share your views and/or other considerations. Thanks Bob

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 19
If you're listening to classical with an Arietta, you might want to consider the AKG K-501. I've listened to classical with both the K-501 and K-701 on a HeadFive (Arietta's predecessor), and much prefer the K-501. The K-501 has a much more natural sound and an expansive soundstage. The K-701 has slightly more bass, but you don't usually need it for classical. Unfortunately, the K-701 doesn't get the timbre right the way the K-501 does.

As for noise intrusion, how noisy is your listening environment? If it's noisy, closed cans won't help all that much, either. But moderate noise (e.g. road traffic) usually gets drowned out if you listen at a moderate level. You'll come to find that open v. closed isn't that big of a deal.

The K-501 is discontinued, but you can still find new ones here and there averaging around $130. That's a steal.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 19
(a useless post by me) the k701 is sexier imo

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're listening to classical with an Arietta, you might want to consider the AKG K-501. I've listened to classical with both the K-501 and K-701 on a HeadFive (Arietta's predecessor), and much prefer the K-501. The K-501 has a much more natural sound and an expansive soundstage. The K-701 has slightly more bass, but you don't usually need it for classical. Unfortunately, the K-701 doesn't get the timbre right the way the K-501 does.

As for noise intrusion, how noisy is your listening environment? If it's noisy, closed cans won't help all that much, either. But moderate noise (e.g. road traffic) usually gets drowned out if you listen at a moderate level. You'll come to find that open v. closed isn't that big of a deal.

The K-501 is discontinued, but you can still find new ones here and there averaging around $130. That's a steal.

Seconded on the K501 over K701 for classical.

I haven't heard the K271S though so I can't comment on how it compares to either.

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 19
if you have no need for isolation, go for K701. I'm not really a fan of K701, but K271, while good for a closed phone, cannot really compare with a good set of open cans in my opinion. It (K271) has very weak bass and sounds noticably echoey, a common trait of closed headphones.

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 19
Ok, If I decide to go with open phones and listen at normal levels, should I hear much ambient noise such as people talking and such?(this would be in my home).
Also, if I decide against the 701 and cannot find the 501, what is the next best choice for classical? Thanks Bob

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It (K271) has very weak bass

That's my man is a head-fi myth started by people using them under amped and repeated by others who probably never had first hand experience with them.
wink.gif

But I fully agree, if you can go open just do it, the best closed headphones in the world pale in comparison with open.

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my man is a head-fi myth started by people using them under amped and repeated by others who probably never had first hands experience with them.
wink.gif

Yup, there are so many similar headfi myths around, but i feel this one is not so far fetching though. I do find them lacking bass, out of my pimeta and M^3 (both with OPA627). But again, personal taste definitely comes into play here.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 19
Is the Airetta a good amp for the 501's? Meaning enough power and so forth?

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 19
hi bob,
K501 and K701 have very little isolation and you'll be hearing a lot of ambient noise. In terms of amp, both akgs are pretty demanding for an amp, more so for K501. I would try to mate it with an amp that is on the warmer side. K501 to be is pretty dry, thin, and delicate sounding... for the lack of better words. I'm not familiar with Arietta, so i cant really comment on it. I remember liking K501 out of my speaker amp headphone jack though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back