AKG 240s Without an AMP? What you guys think about this...
May 23, 2007 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
I won't be using them with a portable player really... They will be plugged into my novation X station most of the time to work in unison with mixing/producing music on my KRK rocket monitors.

This is the card they will be plugged into http://www.novationmusic.com/product.asp?id=1&Type=1 Yes, it IS my soundcard believe it or not (and it rocks). Will I be able to use these fine without an amp?

Just grabbed em new in the box off ebay for 75$. I guess I should have checked here for for other recommendations for neutral/flat/detailed and clear phones ($120 range).

May 23, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 17
i wouldnt get a amp, jsut watch out on the EQ when mixing. i have pro tools and i always over EQ. You will need to watch out for your Highs and Lows, these cans are going to throw you off a little, but it will only make you a better mixer person and lover.......you silly goose

May 23, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You made a good choice. The akg 240s dont need an amp (they only req 55 ohms). I think you'll like them they are really good headphones. I own a pair myself.

Yes, they are only 55 ohms, but they have very low sensitivity and still require much more power than your 9V 600mA synthesizer is liable to send to its outputs. These headphones, like almost all headphones that people say "require" an amp, sound alright from a weak source-- but they sound far better, fuller and more alive, with sufficient power. If you'd never heard them properly amped, then you'd have no idea what these headphones were really capable of.

And to be fair, though I've spent some time with a couple of pairs of K240S on different systems, I don't actually own a pair. I do however have a K240M, K240 Sextett, and have had numerous other AKG headphones.

May 23, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 17
Hmm conflicting answers....

May 23, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 17
IMHO the K240s sounds like fart under-amped. But thats my oppinion. Give it a healthy dose of Pimeta, at 24V... AD823 OP amps and the K240s sounds much cleaner.

But... thats IMHO.

+1 vote to amp it.

May 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K240M is what you want for mixing with, not the K240S.

Why?

....That's not what I hear.

May 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the K240s sounds like fart under-amped. But thats my oppinion. Give it a healthy dose of Pimeta, at 24V... AD823 OP amps and the K240s sounds much cleaner.

But... thats IMHO.

+1 vote to amp it.

What would you suggest using without an AMP. Remember, I just want honesty in my headphones, no coloration.

May 24, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K240M is what you want for mixing with, not the K240S.

I agree with this. If you've ever heard both side-by-side you will have no doubt. The K240S is colored big time compared to K240M. I liked both for different reasons.

May 24, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this. If you've ever heard both side-by-side you will have no doubt. The K240S is colored big time compared to K240M. I liked both for different reasons.

DAMN well, 99% of the information I have read elsewhere (music production forums) says go for the 240s for mixing. So confusing. I dont know who to listen to.

May 24, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 17
since my CMoy broke I've been using both my K240S and SR225 ampless. It's not as good as it could be, but they still both sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMN well, 99% of the information I have read elsewhere (music production forums) says go for the 240s for mixing. So confusing. I dont know who to listen to.

Perhaps this might explain the abysmal state of music production these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back