AKG 1000 question
Jun 29, 2003 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gbeard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head's

I'm just curious about the AKG 1000's. From my cursory search, it seems they will work with higher wattage amps. Has anyone perchance heard them with a Berning zh270? For owners, what is your opinion of the 1000's compatibility with a 70 watt tube p-p amp?

Thanks, gb

Jun 29, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 10
fwiw i think it needs at least 8 watts to run. beyond that i'm sure someone out here knows...

Jun 30, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 10
I had them hooked up to my Conrad johnson monoblock premier 12s,which are 140 watts a side. Sound great Just watch the volume .

Jun 30, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 10
The most power I've run mine with is an Adcom GFA-535, about 60 wpc. No problem at all, although I'd advise a light hand on the volume control
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Works great with a Krell Integrated KAVi300. I guess I've got a $2000+ headphone amplifier
wink.gif
Someday I'll have to try some tube amplification.

I'm at 70+ hours on them and the bass is just now sounding good. Can't wait to try Stefan AudioArt cables when they arrive in the later part of July.

Jun 30, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, it sounds like a new adventure awaits.
cool.gif

I have some other headphoning irons in the fire, but I may have to check some out. My Berning amp is really, really good, and I suspect it would sound fab driving the AKG's.

Oh dear, I am becoming a head junkie...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks all,

Gary

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
Well, it sounds like a new adventure awaits.
cool.gif

I have some other headphoning irons in the fire, but I may have to check some out. My Berning amp is really, really good, and I suspect it would sound fab driving the AKG's.

Oh dear, I am becoming a head junkie...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks all,

Gary

With something like the Berning driving the K-1000, you're likely in for a treat. The ZOTL just didn't have enough power to pull it off. However, the K-1000 is an odd piece that lies somewhere in the gap between headphones and speakers. You get a sense of space that you'll hear in no other headphone. The drivers can be angled to your preference, allowing you to actually widen or focus the image to your taste. It stands away from the ear, with no seal, so that there's no pressure at the ear at all. It also has no isolation, so you can get the eerie feeling of being in two completely different acoustical spaces simulaneously: your actual location and the recording location. A truly great headphone, but highly critical of amplification. I haven't fully explored the wonderful world of K-1000 aftermarket cables yet, although brief exposure to the Equinox was extremely favorable.

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 10
While looking up some old threads, I came across the assertion that K1000's thrive on amps with low output impedance. The Berning is between 2 and 9 ohms depending on the position of the adjustable feedback selector. "Sounds VERRRRRY interesting!" <flicks cigarette and nods approvingly>

biggrin.gif
gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back