AKG 1000, Grado RS-1, or Sennheiser HD 600: The Ultimate Showdown?
Jul 3, 2003 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Schizorabbit

Head-Fier
Which one do you think is better and why? I know the AKG 1000's are felt by many to be the best but to some they are a little 'too open', which subtracts from the sound. I've heard that the Grado RS-1's are simply the best for Rock and Roll, but when it comes to other genres they are noted to lack in crisp bass and distinction. And the Sennhieser 600's, basically the best all round, but when compared in specific genres to some other headphones (Grado RS-1's in rock for example) they lag behind.

I simply want to hear what other "audiophiliacs", have to say about each of these headphones.

Jul 3, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 11
welcome to head-fi, and i thought you had a nice review waiting in here. oh well. (non standard greeting around here)

never heard the rs-1 but i own the 600 and have heard the k1000. i can't get comfortable with the k1000. it's a weird feeling. i didn't try it for that long though. i'm a 600 fan. just great all around in my book. keeps on getting better with amp, source and cable upgrades.

Jul 3, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 11
They are all excellent in their own way. If you truly want it all, you'll have to buy them all.

Otherwise, demo/sample/borrow/test each one until you can decide which gives you the most of what you're looking for in a headphone.

If I could only have one headphone combination, it would be the AKG-K1000 and AudioValve RKV amp. Ask me next week and I might have a different opinion.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Jul 3, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Grado headphones are just nasty. They hurt my ears physically with their nasty hard foam and set my teeth on edge with their harsh tones. HD600 is oh so comfortable but a little too laid back and slow - my ideal long-term phones, especially for long gaming sessions or movies. K1000 is faster and more accurate but not as comfortable. There are very few things that I do not prefer to listen to with K1000 over anything else. And if you have an amp but no computer speakers they will do just fine in that role also, just sit them on top of the monitor.

Jul 3, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 11
It's really about personal taste so I recommend you just try them out with your favorite music.

RS1s - I just don't like them as they're not neutral. Even on the Blockhead they didn't strike me. HP1s are the Grado's to dream for.

HD600 - A good balance for a wide variety of stuff but a bit slow for me and I like more detail.

K1000 - One of my favorite phones. They're fast, detailed, and more neutral.

Jul 3, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 11
ahem, orpheus?

Jul 3, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 11
If he is thinking about anything under a thousand, then this is a good showdown. However, I would also include the Etymotic ER-4S, Sony CD3000, Audio-Technica W1000 and, hmmm, maybe even the Shure E5.

Whoops, and the Beyer 880 as well. Man, I'm slipping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back