AK70 to AK320 - good move?
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LondonGecko

100+ Head-Fier
Long time lurker, but new to posting on the forums.

I currently have an AK70 with Shure SE535s, and generally have a 24 bit collection, with a few legacy items ripped to FLAC from CD. In terms of musical tastes, it's probably best described as guitar based rock, from Pink Floyd through most of the grunge era. I generally like a neutral sound.

I've come from a AK Jr with Shure SE425s, but contemplating a move to an AK320 (and keeping the 535s).

The issue is - no one appears to have a demo AK320 that I can listen to. Is the fact that the player is a few years older a big deal, or does the twin DAC arrangement make it another jump up? (Jr to '70 was significant in terms of clarity).

I'd welcome thoughts and opinions.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Sorry to see no interest, I am contemplating those two options. Trying to find a dealer in metro Detroit area is also difficult. In your opinion what did you notice most from coming from the AK jr. Up to the ak70 I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the difference that you have seen. I am interested in the ak70 more than the 300 series as that's a little expensive. Thank you for your time

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I went from a Fiio X3 (Gen 1) to the AK Jr initially. The difference there was the detail was just so much better with the AK Jr (I was using Shure SE425s at the time). I did feel that it was a little light on the bass, although it wasn't muddy at all. With hindsight, that may have been the IEMs.

The move from the Jr to the AK70 was seismic in comparison. A much more forward presentation, and everything far crisper and clearer. Slightly warmer sound than the Jr too and better detail on complex tracks. Not sure what your musical tastes are, but with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" you could hear every note sing on the guitar. It's a similar tale with Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (album), and then straying into the heavier side of things Rage Against the Machine's "Bullet in the Head," the punchiness of the bass is more pronounced and doesn't roll off as quickly.

In my view, the AK70 gives a very balanced, precise sound - but I'm not one for messing with EQ settings anyway. I'd like to try a 300 series, but in terms of bang for buck I'm delighted with the AK70 - especially now with the Atlas Zeno IEM cable!

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 7
thank you for your quick reply, that is just the kind of information that I was looking for. It looks like the ak71 my finalists. Thank you very much and good luck in the future those albums sound like they're right up my alley

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 7
No problem - I happened to be online.

The only track I've found that ever displayed any harshness is Nothing But Thieves "Trip Switch" - there is a silent section around 2:13 where you hear the cymbal roll off... then it comes in full attack, and the treble isn't as crips as I'd like. Not entirely sure if this is the player, the recording, the IEMs or a combination of factors.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 7
You might want to check out a QP2R if your not needing streaming and Bluetooth. I have the QP1R and think it is a fantastic sounding DAP. If your looking for sound quality this is one to watch. The 2R now has balanced out but gave up a sd to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back