AK100 output question regarding amps
May 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
For the Ak100, I searched the forum and what I found was this

optical cable from HO = will bypass the internal DAC + AMP and make the AK100 a transport only

non optical cable from HO out  with max volume = will bypass the internal AMP but not the DAC

Is the above true?

I really just want to bypass the amp on the AK100 and keep using the DAC. I don't mind the DAC but want to bypass the amp and the 22 ohm resistors on the HO

May 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Actually there is almost no 'amp section' to speak of in AK100, and it has one of the cleanest headphone-out, as it is more like a 'variable line-out with buffer' than a regular amp section. The easiest way is just to max out the headphone-out in AK100 and use an external amp to control volume, and that should give you pretty much as good as SQ as using a line-out.

May 19, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 4
  Actually there is almost no 'amp section' to speak of in AK100, and it has one of the cleanest headphone-out, as it is more like a 'variable line-out with buffer' than a regular amp section. The easiest way is just to max out the headphone-out in AK100 and use an external amp to control volume, and that should give you pretty much as good as SQ as using a line-out.

So then there shouldn't be any clipping? I know sometimes when you do this with other daps clipping sometimes happen.

May 19, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 4

So then there shouldn't be any clipping? I know sometimes when you do this with other daps clipping sometimes happen.

Clipping is a result where the amp section isn't capable swinging as high a voltage as you are asking it to. Given there is no actual amp section in AK100, there is no clipping, so to speak. What you need to worry about clipping is on the external amp you are going to use, not on AK100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back