AK J. or Mojo and transport?
Jul 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dr4Bob

100+ Head-Fier
A question for you who have heard the AK Jr and Mojo: a friend of mine, recently infected with the quality audio bug, lost his AK 100 in an unfortunate drowning incident. He has asked my advice regarding replacement and is considering the AK Jr. I have seen nothing but praise for the Chord Mojo and was wondering if a Mojo with say a Fiio x3 as transport stack would be superior to the AK Jr. He usually uses Shure 846's and is just trying out some full size cans.

Any advice is appreciated as there are no local opportunities to audition the Mojo.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 10
I had the AK Jr. and all though it sounded good not having random play all really bothered me and there lack of support after your purchase is the main reason I would never buy anything from Astell and Kern ever again. As for the Mojo, the sound is heads and shoulders better than the jr, and paired with the X3 would it would be a great combo. I have my Mojo paired with a DX80 because of the dual mSD slots.

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 10
  A question for you who have heard the AK Jr and Mojo: a friend of mine, recently infected with the quality audio bug, lost his AK 100 in an unfortunate drowning incident. He has asked my advice regarding replacement and is considering the AK Jr. I have seen nothing but praise for the Chord Mojo and was wondering if a Mojo with say a Fiio x3 as transport stack would be superior to the AK Jr. He usually uses Shure 846's and is just trying out some full size cans.

Any advice is appreciated as there are no local opportunities to audition the Mojo.

QP1R and call it a day.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the responses- the Mojo gets much love here. 

The QP1R would certainly be a fine choice, but is not quite mid-fi enough...

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Get the Mojo and use it with your phone, DAP's don't have the power to drive full size headphone
QP1R has no problem driving full sized headphones at all. The HE-6 might be the exception but runs Ether-C ,HD-700 and HE-400's with ease.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the responses- the Mojo gets much love here. 

The QP1R would certainly be a fine choice, but is not quite mid-fi enough...
Cost of the Mojo and a X3 and your almost there. The Mojo is more versatile as it can be a desktop all in one solution also. I'm not a big fan of AK as they are way overpriced for the sound IMHO. If your friend likes them then tell him to go for it . I have to say I have not heard the JR but have the other more expensive ones and that is my basis of my opinion. YMMV as always. Good luck.

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 10
I have SE846s and a Mojo that I drive with an X3 and an X5, both first generation. I prefer both of these to my Samsung Galaxy as the Coax connection is so very very very easy and stable compared to the USB mini connector. When carrying the X3 or X5 with the Mojo the music playback is rock solid. Trying to do the same with my cellphone it drops out frequently as the usb mini connector is fussy. I don't really have a preference between the X3 and X5, now that I have a 200GB card in each I am satisfied with both. I have zero experience with the second generation versions.  I should mention I also use the Mojo mostly at my computer that until yesterday was a Win7 Pro machine and now is a Win 10 Pro machine. When I am biking or working out at the gym I just use the X3 (without the Mojo). If I had to give up one of the two, I'd keep the X3. (I own two of them, just in case something happens to one of them)

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, Mike D went with the Mojo; brought it by today for a quick look before he and the wive leave on holiday.
Solid construction of a unique design was my first impression.
I only had a brief listen- highly detailed with precise imaging, maybe slightly bright with Bayer 880 600z which it could drive with total ease.

By far superior to the AK 100, we both agreed. Thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, Mike D went with the Mojo; brought it by today for a quick look before he and the wive leave on holiday.
Solid construction of a unique design was my first impression.
I only had a brief listen- highly detailed with precise imaging, maybe slightly bright with Bayer 880 600z which it could drive with total ease.

By far superior to the AK 100, we both agreed. Thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers!
Great that they like it AK 100 can't come close IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back