AK 120 Hangs/Freezes On Boot Up
Jan 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CannedSteve

New Head-Fier
This is probably going to be a "one-post-wonder".

I had a problem yesterday with my AK120 - when I switched it on it displayed the normal screen, but the orange bar at the bottom froze after half a centimetre (screen size).

Annoyingly, this was just after I'd taken delivery of a brand new pair of Audio Technica headphones - I'd had a quick listen (everything sounding great), but a phone call needed me to pop out for a few minutes. On my return the above happened - ARGHHH!!!

I tried the A&K two finger salute (off and top buttons simultaneously for 7 seconds). Shut down OK, but started up immediately and froze at same point. Ditto for many, many attempts.

So, no music, could not access it via PC/USB cable. Basically it was DEAD.

Not a good thing to happen to your most expensive toy ever...

A & K support? Non-existant. Out of date website full of broken links. BE DEEPLY ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES iRIVER...

Head-Fi forum? Nothing relevant. BUT, clearly populated by people who care and share..

So , in case anyone else gets this problem, it's really easy to fix, as it's basically down to a lack of charge:

1) leave it switched on (you won't have a choice about this!)
2) When the battery runs out (display is dead), put it on charge
3) Leave it for 7 hours or so until it shows "fully charged"
4) Enjoy...

Posted in the hope that anyone stranded in the not working/no support trap can quickly get themselves back to the listening joy that the AK120 gives.

Repeat the Shame on iRiver for their extreme arrogance and total customer abuse. This product is both expensive to buy and to keep running (total lack of customer support).

But, sounds totally gorgeous if you can afford all of the above...

Ecstasy has it's price...

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 4
People keep saying that iRiver suck for customer care.... have you tried A&K directly instead of the iRiver team? I wrote to them around xmas and new year and they got back to me as soon as work started back up again, thought my email wold have been lost during that time but they gave me info on how to ship the device back etc and seemed contactable to me.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 4
The exact same thing happened to me twice so far. I just open the device and disconnect the battery and reconnect it. It's much faster.
  This is probably going to be a "one-post-wonder".

I had a problem yesterday with my AK120 - when I switched it on it displayed the normal screen, but the orange bar at the bottom froze after half a centimetre (screen size).

Annoyingly, this was just after I'd taken delivery of a brand new pair of Audio Technica headphones - I'd had a quick listen (everything sounding great), but a phone call needed me to pop out for a few minutes. On my return the above happened - ARGHHH!!!

I tried the A&K two finger salute (off and top buttons simultaneously for 7 seconds). Shut down OK, but started up immediately and froze at same point. Ditto for many, many attempts.

So, no music, could not access it via PC/USB cable. Basically it was DEAD.

Not a good thing to happen to your most expensive toy ever...

A & K support? Non-existant. Out of date website full of broken links. BE DEEPLY ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES iRIVER...

Head-Fi forum? Nothing relevant. BUT, clearly populated by people who care and share..

So , in case anyone else gets this problem, it's really easy to fix, as it's basically down to a lack of charge:

1) leave it switched on (you won't have a choice about this!)
2) When the battery runs out (display is dead), put it on charge
3) Leave it for 7 hours or so until it shows "fully charged"
4) Enjoy...

Posted in the hope that anyone stranded in the not working/no support trap can quickly get themselves back to the listening joy that the AK120 gives.

Repeat the Shame on iRiver for their extreme arrogance and total customer abuse. This product is both expensive to buy and to keep running (total lack of customer support).

But, sounds totally gorgeous if you can afford all of the above...

Ecstasy has it's price...

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Same thing has been going on with my AK120ii unit. Tried the battery disconnect option and it didn't work. Now to try the letting it completely die, recharging, and turning on. It's screen is going to get so much OLED burn by the end of this…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back