Airtravel rig advice
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DigiPete

500+ Head-Fier
Fellow Head-fiers:

Looking to put together a rig for airtravel. So far I have only listened to a home rig (see my sig).

What it the best sound quality I can get on the airplane (iem and mp3 player)
for $200-300?

Not concerned about massive storage.

Probably don't want to lug an amp as well, so ampless setup seems appealing (unless there is no way to get good sound without one).

Lossless, or higher bit rate capability to improve sound quality may be interesting.

Whadda'ya think
lambda.gif

Any thing that would fit the bill?

Pete

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Hmmm... a tiny amp could be an upgrade in the future
cool.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
An used Nano for about $150, plus an used Etymotic ER4P for another $150.

Is the Nano the same as the Creative Zen nano plus 1Gb? They seem to be going for about $70 on the net...

Ety ER4P vs. Shure E4c. What's the difference?

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Is the Nano the same as the Creative Zen nano plus 1Gb? They seem to be going for about $70 on the net...

Ety ER4P vs. Shure E4c. What's the difference?

No, the Apple Ipod Nano is what he was referring to, the Zen nano is just cheap flash player from creative.

ER4P compared to the Shure E4c is like comparing a HD595 and SR225 respectively. Very different. You're getting incredibly clear and punctual sound with the etymotic, and slighly more laid back and bassier with the E4c. You'd have to try them yourself. IEMs are very much dependent on your own tastes and ear canals.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
No, the Apple Ipod Nano is what he was referring to, the Zen nano is just cheap flash player from creative.

ER4P compared to the Shure E4c is like comparing a HD595 and SR225 respectively. Very different. You're getting incredibly clear and punctual sound with the etymotic, and slighly more laid back and bassier with the E4c. You'd have to try them yourself. IEMs are very much dependent on your own tastes and ear canals.

Thanks Duke,

Almost went down the wrong path there with the Zen nano.

Looking for a fairly neutral presentation, good lows, mids and nice highs (not overly bright).

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Looking for a fairly neutral presentation, good lows, mids and nice highs (not overly bright).

With ~200$ or so IEMs you can't have your cake and ear it too. You have to choose between an audiophile's IEM (ER4) or a "fun"-er iem (E4).

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

With ~200$ or so IEMs you can't have your cake and ear it too. You have to choose between an audiophile's IEM (ER4) or a "fun"-er iem (E4).

LOL!! We always want it all (and for cheap) don't we
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Stating that the ER4P "audiophile" and the e4 "fun" is one opinion that some Head-Fiers follow; I'm in another group. DigiPete really needs to either come to a meet or just go to a store where he can try both. You may yet discover that the e4's not only have a strong, tight bass, but a fuller, more balanced presentation. Check out this and thisthread.

If you ever find yourself in an airport, check out InMotion; they'll most likely let you demo the e4s.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 18
The beautiful thing about the Etymotic ER4P is that now you can use it directly out of the iPod Nano. Later when you get some dough you can get the Supermacro IV.

The Ety's and the Supermacro's are a match in heaven. Why because the Supermacro has a built in switch that when you flip it adds a 75 ohm resistor and you basically convert the ER4P to an ER4S. In addition you get a bass boost switch to help the bottom end of the Etymotic. When you add OP-Amp rolling you have a major winner. Good luck.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 18
I use the e4s right out of the 5G and have noticed the headphone out improvement over previous iPod generations. There's quite a few folks that will state the Nano's headphone out is even better than the 5G's. In any case, the ambient noise in an airplane will most likely nullify the Etys detailed advantages and really require a more balanced, stronger audio presentation.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I use the e4s right out of the 5G and have noticed the headphone out improvement over previous iPod generations. There's quite a few folks that will state the Nano's headphone out is even better than the 5G's. In any case, the ambient noise in an airplane will most likely nullify the Etys detailed advantages and really require a more balanced, stronger audio presentation.

In airplanes I switch to foamies instead of the tri-flange. The foamies isolate better (33 dB vs. 23 dB), they also help bring out the bass.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The beautiful thing about the Etymotic ER4P is that now you can use it directly out of the iPod Nano. Later when you get some dough you can get the Supermacro IV.

The Ety's and the Supermacro's are a match in heaven. Why because the Supermacro has a built in switch that when you flip it adds a 75 ohm resistor and you basically convert the ER4P to an ER4S. In addition you get a bass boost switch to help the bottom end of the Etymotic. When you add OP-Amp rolling you have a major winner. Good luck.

I used to own a Superacro III. Nice little amp!

Can the Ipod Nano use software other than Apple's to be loaded etc?
I heard that the software from Apple is somewhat limiting.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Stating that the ER4P "audiophile" and the e4 "fun" is one opinion that some Head-Fiers follow; I'm in another group. DigiPete really needs to either come to a meet or just go to a store where he can try both. You may yet discover that the e4's not only have a strong, tight bass, but a fuller, more balanced presentation. Check out this and thisthread.

If you ever find yourself in an airport, check out InMotion; they'll most likely let you demo the e4s.

Up until now I have not looked into IEMs, but this last trip I sat next to a
lady using E2cs and some MP3 player (not sure what it was), but it got me
interested in getting a setup for myself.

I'll be going to the next So Cal meet in august. Perhaps I will be able to hear some iems there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back