Airport security on portable rig?
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pokato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I travels very often, and would like to bring my portable setup with me on the plane, but have anyone ever had issue with airport security? To a non-headfier, would the looks of ipod-cable-amp cause any alarm?

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 21
As long as the setup doesn't look like a poorly made DIY rig (wires/cables sticking out of a box with circuit boards visible, etc) and looks like a commercially made product, then you are safe. I know it sounds bad, but from personal experience seeing the folks that they do pull over, this seems to be the case.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 21
You should also disassemble your rig prior to the security check and then reassemble it after you cross.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 21
I remember a story on here a year or so ago about someone travelling on what I seem to remember was his honeymoon.

Someone had made him an amp as a wedding gift, and it got confiscated at airport security.

So, IMHO, don't try taking a mint tin CMOY through security... Something professional (Tomahawk etc) should be fine.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dridiot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just travelled with my Tomahawk, no problems....

You mean a 20ft. cruise missile in your hand luggage didn't evoke suspicion?
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, i have flown many times over the past year and have not had a single problem!

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all will know for sure when I fly to LA -> Seattle in Feb 2008. I will be carrying this with me:

iModRig03Back.jpg

dude, nice set up
i'd confiscate that thing!

oh i wonder if any mean head-fi's work at airport security and confiscate people's rigs when they see a nice one, lol, i mean, i dont think people would do that but....hmmm

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply guys...yea, the last thing I wanted to happen is my gears get confiscated by the security
plainface.gif
I guess if EFN's stuffz passed the check point I should be ok lolz

I take my iMod+SuperMacro through US security 20 times a year and so far only one person has looked at it (and wanted to know how to get one...another head-fier now, I hope!). The last two time I went to the UK (last year and this), I decided not to take my rig with me. I did notice how fewer iPods there were on those two flights.

One suggestion, I take a stamped, addressed envelope with me just in case I have problems with security. (I keep having to add postage!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back